22. Remember Every Scar.

Start from the beginning

"What's up?" Clarke said, sitting up straighter.

"Well, I've already spoken to the girls and they think it's a great idea." Octavia began, turning in her seat beside Clarke. "I want you to be my maid of honour."

"Are you serious?" Clarke asked, turning to face Octavia.

Octavia nodded her head. "You're my best friend Clarke. I couldn't think of anyone else I'd rather have by my side."

"I'd be honoured." Clarke nodded. A tear escaped her eye and she rushed to wipe it away.

They spent the next hour and a half talking about anything and everything. It wasn't until Bellamy walked into Clarke's kitchen that they realised they'd gone way into the evening.

"You guys look like you're having fun." Bellamy smiled as he entered the room with a carrier bag full of chinese take out.

"Hey! Sorry we got talking and just lost track of time." Clarke said, standing up to kiss Bellamy.

"I can see that." Bellamy smirked. "I'm guessing you got a lot planned?"

"Yep!" Octavia beamed, popping the 'p' and standing up. "Clarke agreed to be my maid of honour too."

"Told you she would." Bellamy smiled. He wrapped his arm around Clarke's shoulders.

"I swear I'm always the last one to find out about everything." Clarke rolled her eyes. But she couldn't contain her smile. She was truly honoured to be involved in Octavia's wedding in such a personal way.

"I gotta run anyway, Lincoln will be waiting for me." Octavia smiled. "Come on girls, I'll give you a ride home."

Raven, Octavia and Gaia followed Octavia out the apartment, leaving Clarke and Bellamy alone. Clarke grabbed two beers out the fridge as Bellamy pulled the take out containers and set them on the table. They sat opposite each other as they ate and talked about Clarke's day.

"Three hours! It took her three hours to decide between three dresses." Clarke complained.

"But she picked one out?" Bellamy asked.

"Yeah, we have our bridesmaid dresses, finally. I love her, I really do. But there's a reason I hate shopping with your sister." Clarke smirked.

"Rather you than me." Bellamy grinned.

"Yeah well, count yourself lucky that guys are easier than girls." Clarke shook her head.

"So do you have the dress here?" Bellamy asked, taking a swig of his beer.

"Yeah it's in my closet." Clarke nodded.

"You can try it on later and show me." Bellamy winked.

Clarke let out a small giggle and rolled her eyes. Normally she would put the dress away and keep it hidden until she absolutely had to put it on. But this dress made her feel amazing and she wouldn't pass up an opportunity to show it off to the man she loved.

They finished their dinner and Clarke told Bellamy to throw out their rubbish while she changed into the dress. When Bellamy left the apartment to take out the trash, Clarke rushed to her room, stripping off her clothing. She pulled the dress out of the closet and slid it on. Walking over to her full length mirror, Clarke took a minute to admire her reflection. The dress hugged her body perfectly. For the first time in a long time, Clarke felt beautiful. That was until she caught the reflection of her scar. It was still pink and ran the length of her arm from her wrist to half way between her wrist and elbow. There was also a burn scar on her arm from the camp fire two weeks ago. The burns were only minor, but were enough to cause scarring on Clarke's skin.

Clarke suddenly felt self conscious about wearing the dress. Although she knew all eyes would be on Octavia, Clarke would struggle to hide the marks on her arms with the thin straps provided.

"Wow."

Clarke turned sharply to see Bellamy standing in the doorway, his eyes wide. She tried to smile at him but some how couldn't quite manage to make it believable.

"Thanks." Clarke responded.

"Clarke, you look amazing." Bellamy whispered.

Clarke turned back to the mirror, but her eyes didn't look at the dress anymore, instead they fell on her scars. Bellamy walked up behind her. He knew Clarke well enough to know when something was bothering her and he knew exactly what it was that was bothering her. His eyes followed her line of sight in the mirror.

"Stop it." Bellamy said demandingly.

"What?" Clarke said, her eyes not moving.

"Stop questioning everything. Stop looking at them like they're the ugliest thing in the world." Bellamy said.

Clarke turned to face him, tears gathered in her eyes. "They are ugly though. I'm going to look hideous. Octavia's day will be ruined."

"You think your scars are going to ruin her wedding? You think Octavia cares about them?" Bellamy raised a brow. "You clearly don't know my sister as well as you thought."

"Bellamy, I can't hide these. They're going to be in all her pictures." Clarke argued.

"You don't need to hide them. Clarke those scars on your arms are not ugly. They're beautiful. They are there to remind you that despite what happened in your life, you survived. You beat death, not once but twice! Stop trying to hide them, remember them Clarke. Remember what they mean. Remember the heart ache, remember the pain, remember the hell you had to face. But you also need to remember that all those things made you stronger. They made you who you are today. You're beautiful Clarke, scars or no scars." Bellamy said sternly, looking straight into her eyes.

"You mean they don't put you off?" Clarke looked up at him.

"Why would they put me off? Both of those scars are on your body because I left you. If I hadn't left you that night at the camp, I could have gotten you out quicker. You wouldn't have got burnt. Same goes for the other one. If I had just listened to you and given you a chance, none of that would have happened." Bellamy said sadly.

"No. This is not your fault. Neither of them are! Please don't blame yourself for this Bellamy." Clarke placed both hands on either side of his face, forcing him to look at her.

"I love you Clarke. I need you to understand how beautiful and amazing you are." Bellamy whispered.

"I love you too Bellamy. I guess if you can love my flaws, I can learn to love them too." Clarke smiled.