Chapter 12

I am trying to remember why am I up at this ungodly hour. On a holiday.

It's Thanksgiving. Usually, I wouldn't complain. But I was out really late last night and am wishing I didn't sign up for this race.

Each year, the town of Kentwood, California has a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. It's a 5k race to raise money for local charities. I've been a part of it since I was a kid. I use to volunteer. Help with water for the runners. Sell baked goods at the end of the race and for spectators. Give food out to those in need. Since I was 13 though, I've run in the race. Even though I'm not the best runner in the world, it's for a good cause and I enjoy it.

I arrive at school, where the race begins. It's still dark out, only 6:30 in the morning. We're supposed to meet in the gym. I grab a cup of coffee from some volunteers before heading into the gym to register and get my number to wear. I look around when I spot Chase coming towards me.

"Lauren!" he brings me into a hug. "I didn't know you'd be racing."

I'm about to answer, but someone does for me. "She always does. Has since seventh grade," I hear from behind Chase. I know immediately that it's Mason. It's the most he's said to me in weeks. Well actually, he was talking to Chase. Chase backs up a bit and looks between the two of us. He keeps going back and forth as Mason and I just stand there, looking at each other awkwardly in silence.

After a couple minutes of silence, I decide to break the ice. "Good game last week. I know you'll do well Saturday." Kentwood is in the playoffs now and Mason has still been killing it. They absolutely slaughtered the other team last week.

"Thanks," he mumbles, with a small smile. His mouth is open like he's about to say something else, but then looks behind me and the smile fades away. His jaw clenches. "See ya," he says with gritted teeth before walking away. Chase gives me a sympathetic smile as he follows, saying he'll talk to me later.

I turn and see John is heading my way. A smile creeps up on my face. After numerous dates, we became official last night. I pushed passed all my disappointment with pretty much losing my best friend in Mason and wanted to be happy with John. I've realized I've pushed him away recently, but he's a really sweet guy and I do like him, so I made more of an effort. We spent the night hanging around and making out, a lot. There were times where it was getting hot and heavy and I had no clue where it would go. I still am not ready to have sex. Thankfully though, nothing besides him grabbing my ass a couple of times happened.

He leans down and gives me a gentle kiss. "Hey baby."

I wrap my arm around his waist. "Hi," I smile shyly. I feel a bit awkward. There are a lot of people from school racing. But, John and I spend a lot of time together at school. It was probably pretty obvious we were already seeing each other. But still. I'm feeling awkward and I don't know why.

I look over and see Mason staring at us with a scowl on his face. Now I know why I feel awkward. I look down in embarrassment. Why is he looking like that? I look back up and he's still staring. Chase hits him on the shoulder, but Mason doesn't budge. But soon, Lydia comes to his side and wraps her arms around his neck. He looks away from John and I and they kiss like there no one else is in the room. Definitely more on her end though. I shudder and take John's hand, "C'mon, let's go outside to start the race." He interlaces our fingers and walks out with me. I shouldn't let Mason and Lydia kissing bother me, but it does.

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

I did my personal best at the race. I was really proud of myself. I still probably finished in the middle of the pack, but I did my best still. Afterwards, John and I went to grab some coffee. It was a short, quick date. He had to leave so he could go visit some family down in Orange County.