Chapter 5

It's Saturday and that means my low-key birthday party at Mason's is today. I can't believe I let them convince me of this.

I'm exhausted and unsure how I'll be able to stay up for this party. Good thing my house is literally yards away because I can go home and crash when I want to. Kayla and I went to Bartlett for the game last night, which yay Kentwood won! Anyway, we were going to just chill at one of our houses, but Mason texted me and asked if we'd want to go to Clark's afterwards. We met him, Chase, and Alex there, which made Kayla happy. Mason must've said something to Alex because he kept on flirting with her. But part of me just really wants to stay in bed and avoid this party.

I walk on over to Mason's house, without knocking. He texted me and said to go into the basement. However, I tend to just walk into his house anyways if I for sure know he's there. The basement is Mason's little man cave. It was his older brother's, Adam, before he went off to college. Now, it's all Mason's, even when his brother is visiting.

I suddenly feel a bit overdressed by looking at the people here by wearing this dress. It's not fancy by any means, it's a casual floral dress. Heck, I've even worn it to school before. Most people are just in jeans and some shirt. Or in Chase's case, sweatpants.

Mason was right, he was doing low-key for me. There's not many people. Kayla is talking with Alex. I can see a twinkle in her eyes as she's talking to him. Bailey is talking with a couple other girls that I'm cool with. Mason is chatting with Chase and a few other guys while playing video games. Mason quickly notices me and I swear I see him swallow before a smile creeps up on his face. He looks good, wearing a nice polo that fills his broad chest. Out of everyone besides me, Mason looks the most dressed up and I'm thankful for it. It's like he knew I'd wear more than jeans and some random top. He puts down his remote and comes towards me with a smile on his face and I can't help but smile back. "Hey." I say as he approaches.

"Hey," he says as he gives me a hug. "You look great."

I feel my cheeks burning red. Why am I blushing? Its just Mason for Christ's sake. "Thank you. Seems like a chill party," I tell him.

"I said we'd do low-key. C'mon, let me get you a drink," he takes my hand and we head over to the drinks on the bar.

Low-key was correct. Mason made sure of it. It wasn't really any big party. It mainly was us just chilling, playing video games, pool and foosball, and just a few drinks. It was exactly what I wanted in a party, if we'd even call it that.

We were all chatting, playing pool on teams. Mason and I were playing against Alex and Kayla. Mason and Alex were definitely making this competitive. Kayla and I couldn't be any worse at pool and don't really care who wins. But both Mason and Alex are great and are going at with jabs at each other. It's funny to watch how competitive they are being.

Suddenly, my phones rings. I don't even check who it is before I answer. "Hello?"

"Lauren?" That voice. Tanner. Dammit Tanner. He sounds a bit upset. I try not to let that bother me.

"I'll be right back," I tell Mason, Kayla, and Alex. Kayla looks at me in curiosity. I mouth Tanner. Mason must've saw because mutters something I can't hear and his eyebrows seem to furrow. I go and sit near the top of the basement steps away from everyone. "What do you want?" I ask.

"Did you get my note?"

"Yes, I got it. Why?" I say, flatly.

"I found it on the floor."

"And? Tanner, I'm kind of busy right now," sounding annoyed.

I hear him sigh, "I know. I heard about the party Mason is throwing you. I'm sorry, okay, Lauren? Please. Please just talk to me."