Chapter 35. "Little Guo in action"

The picture above is the illustration of what happens at the ending/epilogue of the novel Guardian (Zhen Hun). When Shen Wei burnt himself to offer to the lamp, how he fell from above, and when he was granted a soul fire and how Zhao YunLan catch him.😉

---

Deep below the earth's surface, within place so dark and foreboding that no human had ever dared to enter them, everything was still and silent. Not even a single grain of nightmare sand moved and disturbed the peace. In this place, where the darkness was ever present, not a single ray of light from the outside world could penetrate it. The only light that could be seen was dull, and came from small candle stubs that lined the walls of the place every so often as Shen Wei, Zhao YunLan, Guo ChangCheng and Chu ShuZhi walked through them.

Now Zhao YunLan and Guo ChangCheng, or at least anyone who was sane, would know that this was a place no mortal should ever be. Every instinct that feared death and willed to survive would be screaming for them to run as far away from this place they could, and never look back.

Cold. Empty. That's how it feels to have no soul and to live in the Land of the Disrespectful, Dixing. That's how Shen Wei feel all along for ten thousand years.

Where the darkness was ever present. That this darkened realm that is seemingly cut off from the rest of the world was the home of Shen Wei, the Ghost King.

Not long after he tried to scarifice himself in the Zhen Hun Lamp before, he manage to secure the barrier of Dixing just like fulfilling his contract with Shen Nong after he thought he was dead after that. He thought he manage to secure everything but he forgot an important being.

Like many others seeking to mark their names in the lands. Even though Shen Wei become the supreme leader of Dixing that did not deter his brother however; Ye Zun lust for power and his desire to be the best, to be superior thrust his neck deep into the hairiest of situations. He always seek a way to beat the odds.

As time passed swiftly.

As Shen Wei, Zhao YunLan, Guo ChangCheng and Chu ShuZhi walking in the dark alley way of Dixing. The path can be compared to a skeleton, stripped of its flesh long ago by the locust that swarmed.

Shen Wei hated everything his eyes could devour - disaster, deception, false hope. There was stillness on both sides. If hatred was visible the air would have been scarlet. These were all that this place had left to offer, the remains of yesteryear. There was no going back, and as life goes on, Shen Wei decided so will he.

Darkness stretched ahead as long as the road they had travelled in Dixing hours, now charcoal hued and cold.

As a child Shen Wei used to wish for the sun. The darkness worried him. He even doesn't want to stay on the same roof with those demons who only know what to do is to devour and Hell supplied many beasts with fantastical jaws to lurk beyond the range of his vision.

At first the darkness of the place must have deceived him, or else his eyes were confused and dazzled by the recent glare of Zhao YunLan. For a minute or two he could make out nothing at all. There was something that made him nervous. It could have been a tincture of the wrong aroma, or the temperature being too cold - like a window had been opened in his absence.

Shen Wei wasn't sure.

They walked out of the dark alleyway few meters away from the palace. The fog, more like a thin dark mists had increased in the air since the last time. They could hear the sound of movements behind them but they kept their gaze straight.