Annabeth 4

Annabeth awoke in her bed. She lay still, wishing it had all been a bad dream. Someone had unbound the bubble wrap from her leg, and rewrapped it in cloth. It didn't feel broken anymore, just sore. Her heart however, was a different story.

     Limping, Annabeth made her way into the bathroom. Her reflection was pitiful; tangled hair, bloodshot eyes, and a washed-out face. Annabeth hated being pitied. She had to be strong, she had to be dependable, she had to be a leader. 

     Annabeth choked back her tears. No more crying. Not when it would be noticeable. Deep breaths, she told herself. What would Percy do? The answer was easy; he would stay strong around everyone else and grieve by himself. That was what she must do.

     After a shower and a lot of makeup, Annabeth was looking strong again. She'd never really had time for makeup, but now it was her saving grace. The foundation had evened her skin tone, while the concealer hid the bags under her eyes. The subtle silver eyeliner drew attention away from the slight redness of her eyes, and her hair was washed, brushed, and braided back. 

     She slipped from her room and into Percy's to grab one of his blue plaids. It smelled like him, like salt water and mint and cologne. Then she made her way up to the main deck.

     Leo was already up, steering the ship without his usual enthusiasm. Jason was up too, leaning against the rail, staring out to the sea. Annabeth, after a moment's hesitation, joined him.

     "Morning." She said softly.

     Jason started. "Annabeth! I didn't think-"

     "I'd be up yet." Annabeth finished. "Well, I am. We have things to do."

     Jason nodded. "I'm really sorry Annabeth." He looked miserable. "I should have at least tried to get him. Or take both of you at once."

     "Don't blame yourself, Jason. It was my fault." Leo had come to join them. "I'm the ship captain. I should have been looking out for my crew."

      "If it's anyone's fault, it's mine." Annabeth crossed her arms tightly over her chest. "How could I not have noticed the webbing attached to my leg?"

     Leo and Jason looked at her with sympathy. "Annabeth, none of us noticed. That doesn't make it your fault."

     Annabeth refrained from screaming that it was her fault, instead, she said tightly, "I am the daughter of Athena. I should have been smart enough to untangle myself. I don't wish to speak on the subject any longer."

     Jason had a sad look in his eyes, but he nodded.

     "So, what's the plan?" Leo asked, fiddling with his tool belt.

     Annabeth took in a deep breath. "We need to contact Reyna." She was extremely grateful that Piper wasn't around, because the look in Jason's eyes was very excited. He didn't even ask why they had to contact her.

     "We could Iris-message her!" He said.

     Leo raised his eyebrows. "Excited much?"

     Jason shrugged. "Sometimes, I just miss Camp Jupiter. Other times, I prefer Camp HalfBlood. It's confusing."

     "Like what the gods are going through." Annabeth commented.

     Leo wiggled his fingers. "Yeah, the split personality thing." Then he stopped, looking more serious. "Why do we need Reyna?"

     Annabeth pointed to below her. "The only way to show the Greeks that the Romans mean no harm, and to show the Romans that the Greeks are worthy allies, is to have the Roman praetor assist in the return of the Athena Parthenos."

     Leo looked like he was still piecing it together, but Jason was nodding vigorously. "That sounds like the safest way to go, as long as-"

     "Octavian doesn't ruin it all." Leo finished, catching on.

     Annabeth smiled grimly. "Reyna should be able to handle him."

"Reyna??"

     Annabeth whipped around. Nico di Angelo had leapt down from the crows-nest, where he had been on lookout, unseen. His shaggy black hair slid into his eyes, and he hurriedly brushed it away.

     "Reyna's coming here??"

     "Yes, I believe that's our best option." Annabeth felt confused; why was Nico so interested?

     "When is she coming? How long will she be with us?" Nico peppered her with questions, reminding Annabeth of how Percy had described him, before Bianca died. It was heartening to know that beneath the moody, emo teenage boy lurked the child the death of his sister had killed.

     "She'll be coming as soon as she can, if I know her." Said Jason confidently. "And staying until we return to Camp HalfBlood." He grinned. "I can't wait to see the look on Reyna's face when she sees-"

     "Sees what?" Asked the deceptively calm voice behind him.

The Rise of GaeaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara