Annabeth 28

Annabeth woke up snuggled next to Percy. She peeked at him; his tan face peaceful, arms thrown around her.

     Chiron had been forced to allow Annabeth to stay in the Poseidon cabin, otherwise Percy would destroy the plumbing every night. However, this had led to a whole slew of other sleeping arrangements.

     "Reyna has to sleep in my cabin, otherwise I might raise the dead in my sleep." Nico had announced to an irate Chiron. "And Hazel's too shy to say so, but if Frank doesn't stay with us too, giant gems will start rising under the Big House."

     No sooner than two minutes later, Thalia and Jason had approached Chiron. 

     "We need Luke and Piper to stay in our cabin with us so that we don't accidentally strike lightning in our sleep."

     Chiron had thrown his hands up in defeat, not even batting an eye when Leo had declared that he and Calypso would be sleeping in the 'Leo Cave'. Whatever that was.

     Percy hadn't been upset that his friends were making excuses off of his real issue; he was glad that his situation benefited others as well.

     Annabeth wiggled up out of Percy's grip, and he immediately latched back onto her, his head resting on her stomach. A smile broke over Annabeth's face, and she gently combed her fingers through his messy black hair, laughing when a pair of sea-green eyes looked sleepily up at her.

     "Good morning, Seaweed Brain." Annabeth pushed his hair from his face.

     He mumbled something unintelligible in reply.

     Annabeth extracted herself to go shower and get dressed, feeling safe to do so now that Percy was awake. She hadn't wanted to before, because if Percy woke up and she was gone, he might panic.

     One benefit of staying in the Poseidon cabin was the amazing shower. The floor was a smooth mosaic, and the walls were a beautiful mix of seaglass and coral. The soaps were scented with mint and salt and the slightest hint of rose, like the ones that grew in prickly clumps by the sea.

     The previous day had been a flurry of preparations; in which Annabeth tried to stay by Percy's side. If she didn't, it would only be a matter of minutes before he would panic, or fall into a flashback. 

     It wasn't like staying near him was a chore. Annabeth loved Percy more than anything, and it was nice to have an excuse to stay with him.

     Drying off with a luxuriously soft blue towel, Annabeth took deep, calming breaths to distract herself from the fact that it was August 1st, and Gaea could rise any moment.

     She dressed in jeans and a grey top before venturing back out to her groggy boyfriend.

     Annabeth was happy to see that he wasn't alone - Piper had joined him, and the two were sipping tea.

     When he noticed her, Percy scooted over on the bed to make room, and offered his steaming mug.

     "Want a sip?"

     Annabeth took it, cautiously sipped, and almost gagged on all the honey. She preferred her tea black and minty, to stimulate her brain, so she handed the mug back.

     "Thanks."

     Piper had left the door propped open, and so the three sat in comfortable silence, listening to the birds outside, and the rhythmic lapping of the waves.

     It was peaceful, but as Annabeth had lived through many battles, she wasn't fooled. Gaea was trying to lull them into a false sense of security, using the beautiful morning to distract them from her rising.

     Because of this, Annabeth wasn't surprised when the ground shook violently, causing glasses to rattle, and screams to pierce the air.

     She snatched up her knife, grabbed Percy's hand, and sprinted outside, Piper following. Both still clutched their mugs of tea.

     The ground sank beneath their feet, making it difficult to travel. In the distance, the dirt boiled and bubbled, rising upwards monstrously.

     From the swirling mountain formed a woman; her skin of white quartz, her hair of rippling brown earth. She was clothed in a forest, trees of every kind looking tiny in comparison.

     Gaea opened her emerald green eyes and smiled.

     "I wake."