Annabeth 24

*****I'm so so sorry I'm late! I lost track of time yesterday, and only had time to type this chapter, not edit and post!*****

     Annabeth stared in disbelief at the black mark on Percy's chest. It started as a curving sun-shape just below his collarbones, and then spiraled out with tendraling arms to wind over his shoulders, under his arms, and up his neck to curl around his ears. 

     Percy looked down at himself, and didn't seem surprised. The entire mark was pitch black, and within the center of the sun-shape was a dark, clotted wound.

     "Tartarus... did that." Percy didn't meet her eyes, and Annabeth got the feeling he wasn't telling her the whole truth. She didn't press him, though. 

     Percy deserved to have privacy about what had happened to him. It was the least Annabeth could do. 

     She unfolded the shirt, and helped Percy into it. 

     It pained her to see how bony and scarred he was. Apollo had healed all the wounds besides the one on his chest, and Annabeth noted new scars on his back, arms, stomach, and shoulders.

     "Can you do your pants by yourself?" Annabeth asked, trying for a playful tone.

     Percy looked up at her with that crooked little smirk she had missed so much. "What would you do if I said no?"

     Annabeth laughed, and tossed the jeans at him before turning around. "Nice try, Seaweed Brain." She waited until the rustling stopped, and then turned back. 

     Percy was lying on the bed, pale and exhausted looking. 

     Annabeth sat on the bed beside him, and stroked back his bangs. "I love you, Percy."

     Percy smiled tiredly at her. "I love you too."

     "You should sleep. You look exhausted." Annabeth lightly ran her finger over the bags beneath Percy's eyes.

     He took a shaky breath, and shook his head. Annabeth understood; he was afraid of having nightmares, but he needed to sleep.

     "I know you don't want to talk about what happened to you." Annabeth said hesitantly. "And I just want you to know that I'm here for you. I don't mind you not telling me everything, and when you're ready to talk, I'm here to listen."

     Percy sighed. "Thank you. I'm just not ready to relive it yet. There is one thing that I wanted to tell you, though."

     There was a knock on the door. 

     Annabeth inwardly groaned at the interruption, but went to answer it. Her irritation vanished when she found Jason hovering by the door (literally), Piper behind him, both with identical looks of anxiety and concern.

     "It's Jason and Piper." Annabeth called over her shoulder. "Is it alright if I let them in?"

     "Yeah."

     Jason hurried in, while Piper followed more composedly.

     "Bro! It's so good to see you!" Jason seemed close to tears as he hugged Percy tightly. "I'm so sorry I let you fall." He whispered in a tiny, broken voice.

     Annabeth's breath caught. She'd had no idea Jason harbored such guilt over Percy's fall, the same guilt she herself still felt.

     "You saved Annabeth. That's all I care about." Percy pulled back and stared Jason straight in the eye. "Please don't blame yourself. I'm fine, see? And we freed the Doors."

     Jason hesitated, and then nodded, wiping a few stray tears away with the heel of his hand.

     Now it was Piper's turn. She gave Percy a big hug, exclaiming, "We were so worried about you!" Releasing him, she flicked his hand, hard.

     "OW!"

     "Don't ever scare us like that again!" she scolded.

     Percy smiled weakly. "Don't worry, I'm not planning on it."

     Jason and Piper laughed a little, while seeming to notice Percy's bloodshot eyes, pale face, and dark under-eye circles.

     "It's good to see you're okay, bro. We should go and let you rest." Jason went to stand, but Percy pulled him back down.

     "Wait." He made individual eye contact with them all. "I need to tell you something. Something I discovered while in... there."

     He still seemed scared to say 'Tartarus', Annabeth noticed with concern. Her poor Seaweed Brain.

     "What is it?" Piper asked curiously.

     Percy swallowed. "Well, you can charmspeak, and I can charmsing..."