Annabeth 1

**I will hopefully be posting new chapters once a week. Unlike with The Infiltration Game, (sorry about that) which I have slightly lost interest in. There will be more chapters out for that too, I promise, but for now, The Rise of Gaea is my main story. As I said before, I already have much of this written out, however I still have to type it, so one chapter a week will be the usual. Sorry not sorry about the cliffhangers though...**

      Annabeth gripped Percy's hand tightly as she listened to Arachne's falling screams.

"It's over." She breathed.

Percy nudged her. "Not us, I hope."

A smile crept unbidden across her face. "Don't be an idiot, Seaweed Brain."

"Hey, Annabeth." Jason was standing behind them. "I'm glad you made it." Annabeth detected slight nervousness in his eyes. After everything, Jason was still afraid of her.

"Thanks, I am too."

Percy frowned at Jason. "Aren't you supposed to be helping to load the statue?"

Jason grinned. "Frank has that covered." He pointed to the giant dragon that was hoisting the Athena Parthenos onto the Argo II. Leo, Hazel and Piper were leading him, helping the clumsy dragon not to break the statue.

"Ah." Percy said. Annabeth saw a snap of movement before her leg yanked her down towards the pit. She screamed, trying to scrabble up, but the pull was too strong. Percy was pulled down beside her, conjoined as they were by their interlocked fingers. Annabeth was hanging over the edge by her arm, her leg slowly pulling her further and further. It was the webbing, Annabeth realized. Arachne's webbing was still tangled around her leg.

"Percy, let go." She groaned as the pressure between her arm and leg increased, making it feel like she was being torn in two. The tendons in Percy's neck stood in high relief as he strained to hold her up.

"No." He attempted to lift her, but the pull on her leg didn't give.

Jason flew down. "Hold on." He drew his sword and cut the line. Annabeth expected to feel weightless, but there was still a pull.

"It's sucking me in!" She shouted. Jason seemed to be having a hard time flying up. With a shout, Percy slipped over the edge. He grabbed hold of a shallow ledge, about two yards down.

"Jackson!" Jason yelled. "I can only take one of you at a time. The gravity of Tartarus is too strong."

"Percy, you have to go first." Annabeth said urgently, terror coursing through her body at the thought of slipping into Tartarus.

Percy and Jason locked eyes.

"Bro." Percy said seriously.

"Bro!"

"Bro."

"Bro..."

"Bro!"

"Bro."

"Speak English! Or Greek! Or Latin for Olympus's sake! Something I can understand!" Annabeth shouted in frustration. Jason flew carefully down and grabbed Annabeth around the waist.

"Percy, hang on. Please." She wished Jason could go faster, but the gravity of Tartarus was very strong. He finally forced them up out of the pit, and collapsed. Annabeth heard a pained, angry screech. She scrambled to her knees and peered over the edge. Percy had slipped way down, leaving a long smear of blood on the rocky side from his hands.

"Percy, no! Hang on, please!" Annabeth turned to Jason, who was panting heavily.

"Save him! You have to save him!" She pleaded desperately.

Jason sadly shook his head. "He's too far down now. I wouldn't be able to fly myself out, let alone Percy."

Footsteps pounded toward them, Nico was running over, his aviator jacket flapping wildly. He skidded to a halt and looked over the edge. His face went grey.

"Nico!" Percy yelled. "Lead them to the Doors of Death! I'll meet you there from the other side! I'll cut the chains!"

Nico looked like he wanted to protest, but he just nodded weakly.

Annabeth locked eyes with Percy. "Please. Just hold on. We'll find a way to get you out." Her brain spun as she tried to concoct a plan, but for once, the daughter of Athena had no idea what to do.

Percy grimaced as something in his arm cracked; he let go with that arm, leaving him swinging over the abyss. "One of us needs to cut the chains on the other side anyway."

"There has to be another way!" Annabeth cried.

From the depths of Tartarus came a hissing chorus: "Jackson... Jackson... Jackson..."

Percy smiled at her. "I love you Wise Girl."

"I love you too Seaweed Brain." Annabeth choked out.

Then, Percy let go.

Annabeth could faintly hear Jason and Nico saying the floor was unsafe, but all she could see was Percy falling, the smile still on his face. Arms lifted her up, but she remained frozen, unable to move, unable to think, unable to breathe.

Percy was gone.

Percy was gone, he was gone and most likely for good.

Voices were buzzing all around her like flies.

Percy's smile was the only thing she could see, his mischievous green eyes unnaturally solemn.

Gentle hands lifted her, carried her, but they weren't Percy's, and Annabeth couldn't care less where they took her.

Tears stung her face, sobs began to wrack her body like waves on the sea... the sea... son of the sea god... Annabeth let out a shriek. Everything reminded her of him, even her tears were salty.

But Seaweed Brain was gone.