Percy 7

***I'm so so so so sorry about the million years it took me to get this out! I got grounded, and I haven't had access to update for a while. Don't worry though, I've been writing the whole time and I have a lot more to put out!***

      "Luke?" Percy slowly turned around. He was greeted by the grinning, blonde, scarred boy who had almost murdered him on several occasions, and then saved his life.

     "The one and only!" Luke did jazz hands.

     Percy was dumbfounded. "What are you doing in Tartarus?"

     Luke looked around him as if just remembering that he was currently residing in the deepest pits of hell. "Right. That. Well, a little birdie told me that the Doors of Death are open for business, so I snuck out of the Isles of the Blessed to come here. What are you doing here, Percy?"

     Percy gave a half smile. "Well, long story short, I fell in saving Annabeth." To Percy's great relief, Luke's only reaction to Annabeth's name was to nod, smile, and say "You finally got her!" "So, you wanna try to get to the Doors together?" Percy asked.

     Luke shrugged. "Why not? We'll watch each other's backs."

     Percy grinned. "Perfect."

     Luke knelt down beside him, and Percy gestured to the river.

     "It is quite good." He said, mimicking a snobby accent. "Earthy, with a hint of wildflower, and a subtle fruity aftertaste."

     Luke rolled his eyes and drank from his hands. "Eugg, it tastes like rotten ghost peppers!" he spluttered.

    "Right?"

     "So," said Luke when he was done choking. "What's the plan, lil' bro?"

     Percy drew himself up importantly. "Technically, I'm your second cousin-"

     "Technically, Annabeth is your-"

     "Nevermind!" Percy said loudly.

     Luke smirked. "'Kay, whatever. So, as I was saying, what's the plan, lil' bro?"

     Percy shrugged. "Try not to die? Seriously though, we should just follow the monsters. They'll all be heading towards the Doors."

     Luke frowned. "Yeah, but then they'll attack us, we'll kill them, and then what? How will we get close enough to them to track them, but not be found?"

     "Well, I did discover something earlier. I can sense and control monsters by their blood." Percy explained.

     Luke's eyes widened. "Well isn't that... intense."

     "It's kept me alive." Percy said, feeling defensive.

     "As long as you don't do it to me, we're good." Said Luke, half joking.

     Percy saw fear and sadness in his eyes. "Luke, what is it?"

     Luke clenched his jaw. "I don't expect you to forgive me, Percy. What I did to you..." he sounded pained. "You don't have to keep up this 'friends' act. It's perfectly fine to hate me, I-"

     "Luke." Percy interrupted. "The past is past. You saved us all from Kronos. This isn't an act, I genuinely want to be friends with you."

     Luke's eyes glimmered with what might have been tears, but he quickly blinked, and said, "Well, we need to get going. All the good monsters will be taken!"

----------------------

     "Don't walk so fast!" Percy hissed.

     Luke walked in exaggerated slow motion. "Aww, poor widdle Percy! His stubby widdle legs can't walk that fast!"

     Percy stifled a laugh. "No, it's just that if you walk too fast, you'll walk right into the..."

     Something growled in front of them.

     "Monsters." Percy finished quietly. The shadows parted, and four Earthborn paced forward.

     Luke unsheathed Backbiter. "What are those?"

     "Earthborn." Percy replied. "Gaea makes them."

     Luke paled. "Gaea? But she's-"

     "Waking up." Finished Percy, Riptide in his hands.

     Luke licked his lips nervously. "You take two, I'll take two?"

     "No need." Percy clenched his fists, and with a shout, pulled the Earthborn apart by their blood, ripping them up as they screamed. The pieces fell to the ground like wet clay, and Percy dropped to his knees. The world spun; lights, shadows, colors and shapes twisting in a way that almost made him vomit. Then, it all cleared. Percy realized vaguely that he was lying on his side, Luke shaking his shoulder.

     "Percy!"

     "I'm okay." Percy sat up. "Just a little dizzy."

     Luke looked a little freaked out, but his hands were steady as he helped Percy up, and he didn't flinch when Percy grabbed his arm for support. For that, Percy was grateful. In the deadly, hot, red, monster-filled realm of Tartarus, it was nice to have a friend. Which got Percy thinking...

     "Luke," he began thoughtfully. "why did you leave paradise to try to make it through Tartarus and then to the mortal world? What's in it for you?"

     Luke grinned. "Thinking, are we, Seaweed Brain?"

     Percy scowled. Only Annabeth could call him that.

     "Well," Luke looked a little more serious. "I have to get to the mortal world." His eyes went dreamy. "I have to see her."

     Percy recoiled. "Who, Annabeth? But-"

     "Nonononono." Luke shook his head. "She's like my sister."

     "Then who?" Percy persisted.

     Luke's face looked as though it had been hit by the purest ray of sunshine, even though there was no sunshine in Tartarus, as he whispered, "Thalia."