Annabeth 22

Annabeth paced in front of the Doors of Death, anticipating thrilling throughout her body. It had been a simple task for the gods to vaporize all the monsters within the House of Hades. Hades himself had said that he could feel that Percy was close to the Doors.

     Now all they had to do was wait.

     After a week of getting to Camp Half-Blood and being constantly alert and ready for monster attacks, Annabeth didn't want to wait any longer. It was agony standing by the Doors and knowing that somewhere below, Percy was possibly fighting for his life.

     Suddenly, a loud shout echoed in her head, and Annabeth pressed her hands to her temples in surprise.

     "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU ANNABETH! I SWEAR IT ON THE RIVER STYX!"

     Percy.

     "What is it?" Piper was at her side in an instant.

     Annabeth stared out in wonder. "I heard Percy in my head. He... he swore on the River Styx that he would always love me."

     "How would you be able to hear that?" Piper asked in confusion.

     Aphrodite cleared her throat. "True lovers can hear promises the other makes about them on the River Styx." She smiled. "It's so romantic."

     All of a sudden, Nico gasped, and wobbled on his feet, Reyna keeping him upright. Beside them, Hades winced. "Something happened."

     "What?" Poseidon and Annabeth turned on him.

     "Percy's life force just tripled, and then diminished to a tiny speck." Hades explained. He tilted his head to the side as if listening to something. "He's in the Doors now."

     Annabeth was shaking like mad. Was Percy okay? Why had his life force gone through such an extreme change? Piper hugged her on one side, Thalia on the other.

      Time seemed to drag, to the point where if Annabeth didn't know Kronos was destroyed, she'd think he had something to do with it.

     Then, there was a pleasant 'ding'.

     Zeus pressed the button, and all hades broke loose.

     Octavian burst from the shadows and ran for the Doors, just as they opened, and a ragged, bloody Percy flopped out. Someone stepped out behind him, but Annabeth wasn't paying attention to that. 

     Octavian tripped over Percy, and landed over the threshold of the Doors, which snapped shut and vanished, leaving behind a lone Roman butt with legs.

     "Percy!" Annabeth ran to him, sobbing with relief. He stirred, and opened his eyes. Annabeth took in a breath. They were solid black.

     "Annabeth?" he croaked, a thin line of blood trickling from his mouth.

     "I'm right here, Percy." Annabeth tried to take his hand, but he pulled away.

     "Annabeth?" his breath was coming faster and faster.

     Poseidon knelt down next to him. "Annabeth's right here, Percy."

     Percy strained towards his voice. "Dad? Where's Annabeth? I want Annabeth."

      Annabeth had a heavy, sinking feeling. "Why can't he see me? Or hear me?" she whispered.

     Apollo came over. "I sense he has some sort of curse on him." He put a hand on Percy's forehead. "Lie still, Percy."

     But Percy jerked away. "No more. Please." The look of terror on his face made Annabeth want to hug him.

     "Percy let Apollo heal you." Poseidon said gently.

     Percy laughed, a tad hysterically. "Don't try to fool me. You're just going to torture me again." His lip trembled. "Please, I just want Annabeth."

     "You can have her, she's right here, just let Apollo heal you." Poseidon soothed.

     Percy's breaths came even faster. "You have Annabeth??"

     "Yes." Poseidon assured. "But you can't have her until you let Apollo heal you, okay?"

     "Don't hurt her, please!" Percy begged. "I don't care if you torture me, just please let Annabeth go."

     Annabeth felt her heart break.

     Poseidon and Apollo shared a look, and then Poseidon grabbed Percy and dragged him over. Percy screamed and began thrashing around like crazy.

     "No! You have to let her go!"

     Poseidon was having a hard time holding him down; Zeus, Ares and Hades rushed over, each grabbing a limb. Annabeth held his head still, and Luke pressed his palms into Percy's stomach to keep him from thrashing.

     "No!" Percy screamed. "Don't hurt her! Annabeth! ANNABETH!"

     Apollo placed his hand on Percy's forehead and closed his eyes in concentration. Percy continued to fight; the four gods were having trouble holding him down.

     "ANNABETH!" Percy was sobbing now. "STOP! DON"T HURT HER! YOU CAN HURT ME, BUT NOT HER!! PLEASE!"

     Annabeth swallowed back her tears, wishing Apollo could just get a move on.

     The black of Percy's eyes shrank until it was just normal-sized pupils. He blinked, looking disoriented. "Annabeth?"

     Annabeth smiled. "Yes, Percy. I'm right here."

     The gods let go, and Percy threw himself at her. Annabeth held him tightly, feeling him shaking, and knowing that he was crying, too.

     "You're safe now, Percy." Annabeth rocked him back and forth. "I love you so much."

     Percy was clinging to her tightly, she could barely breathe, but it was worth it.

     "Annabeth, I missed you so bad."

     "I missed you too." Annabeth buried her face in his hair, not caring that it was matted and bloody. It was Percy, and that was all that mattered.

     "I'm sorry I left you alone for so long." Percy's breathing was calming down.

     "It wasn't your fault." Annabeth reassured.

     Suddenly, Percy's whole body stiffened, and he drew away.

     "What is it? Did I hurt you?" Annabeth asked in concern.

     Percy looked miserable. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have hugged you. I wasn't trying to get between you and Jason, I promise."