Annabeth 12

Annabeth and Piper looked at each other in dread.

     "I'll try to steer. You two go see what's going on." Jason grabbed the wheel from Annabeth's hands.

     Annabeth hurried down the stairs, Piper on her heels. She couldn't imagine anything that would cause Nico to be so upset, except Frank doing something to Hazel. But really, what would sweet, mild Frank do that even old-fashioned Nico would disapprove of?

     She skidded to a halt outside Nico's door, and cracked in open. 

     Frank and Hazel were sitting at a card table; Mythomagic cards strewn across it. Nico was standing up, the look of murderous fury on his face making up for his distinct lack of height. His long hair shaded his face as he stood, fists planted against the table, staring down Frank.

     "You can't do that, Zhang." Nico was saying threateningly.

     Frank looked down at the mess of cards before him, and then back up at Nico.

     "Well, I did."

     Annabeth and Piper watched in morbid fascination as the tendons in Nico's arms stood out.

     "Mythomagic is MY GAME Zhang. I DO NOT LOSE."

     Hazel sighed. "You didn't lose, Nico. I did."

     Nico turned away, raking his fingers through his wild black hair. "I DO NOT COME IN SECOND, EITHER!!" He flopped down on his bed, amidst Hazel's giggles, and Frank's hidden smile. "I'm losing my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedge." He complained.

     Annabeth and Piper smothered their laughter as they sneaked the door shut and crept back up the stairs. Jason was waiting for them.

     "Is everything all right down there?" he asked in concern.

     Piper looked at Annabeth, and they both erupted into laughter. It felt so good to laugh, to feel even a brushing touch of happiness.

     Jason looked confused.

     "Nico was being dramatic about losing the Mythomagic game, that's all." Piper explained to him.

     "I see." Jason looked relieved that nothing was wrong. He turned to Annabeth. "Are we still going the right way?"

     Annabeth checked the compass set in the center of the steering contraption. "Yes. And we'll continue on in this direction for a while."

     "Then I'll keep steering." Said Jason decisively.

     "You don't have to do that." Annabeth protested.

     Jason stared at her with his steely blue eyes. "You haven't slept in four days, Annabeth. A lot of pressure has been put on you since Leo disappeared. You deserve a break."

     Annabeth did not want to sleep. Sleeping meant nightmares about Percy, where her wild speculations of day manifested into twisted scenes of torment. "I'm fine." She protested again.

     Jason looked to Piper for help, and Annabeth knew she would not win this argument. "Fine." She relented. "But on one condition."

     "What?"

     "Please let me look into Katoptris. I need to know what Percy is going through. It's driving me crazy."

     Piper looked at her sympathetically. "Katoptris doesn't automatically show you what you want." She warned. "And even then, what you see may be hard to unsee."

     "I need to see it." Annabeth said firmly.

     Wordlessly, Piper unsheathed Katoptris from her belt. The blade was blank and lifeless. "See?" Piper went to sheath it.

     "Wait!" Annabeth cried, as the blade flickered.

      Jason leaned over to see, and the three watched in rapt silence as an image wavered into view. It was Percy. He was kneeling on a stormy red and purple surface, his clothes ragged and grimy. His hands were clenched over his face, covering his eyes. 

     Blood streaked from gashes on his back, and his shoulders were shaking. Tears dripped from his face to the grotesque ground, and from the way his jaw moved, he appeared to be screaming. Annabeth could only guess he was screaming in agony. Then the image vanished. 

     Annabeth staggered backwards, feeling her world spin. Percy was in pain. Percy was alone, and in pain, and in danger.

     "Annabeth!" Piper grabbed her forearms. "Annabeth, listen to me-"

     "He's dying, Piper!" Annabeth shouted. "Nothing you say can change that!"

     "He'll make it out." Piper reassured weakly. "He's a survivor."

     Annabeth wrenched her arms from Piper's grasp and turned away, leaning over the rail. Tears rained from her eyes, mimicking the salty water below her.

     She could feel Jason and Piper's gaze on her, and hated herself for being angry at them. But she couldn't help it! How could they know what she was feeling? Yes, they had lost Leo, but at least they has each other! Didn't they know that empty, lifeless reassurances of Percy's survival were not what she needed?

     Annabeth took a deep breath. "You're right, I should rest." She walked to the stairs, not meeting Jason or Piper's eye, and went to Percy's cabin. 

     His bed was just as he had left it: a messy arrangement of tangled sheets and blankets. Annabeth groaned, leaning against the wall. There was no escape. In her own cabin, she would feel alone, and in Percy's she would feel miserable. Maybe trying to sleep wasn't such a good idea. As it was, she was well past the period of being tired. Her body seemed to have forgotten what sleep was. 

     Annabeth knew sleep was good for her, that eventually she would just collapse, but the emotional side of her brain told the rational side to shut up. 

     Annabeth slunk back up on deck, hoping her presence would go unnoticed and she could retreat to Nico's spot in the crow's nest. However, there was another passenger on board the Argo II.

     "Reyna?" Annabeth said in disbelief. "How did you get here so fast?"

     A pegasus landed with a thump on deck. There was no need for an answer.

     "I'm so glad you were able to think of this plan." Reyna said warmly. "I was at my wits end trying to find a way to make peace while Octavian was only making things worse!"

     "I can see that happening." Jason laughed.

     Footsteps sounded on the stairs, and Nico slumped up onto the deck, not seeing Reyna. "I'm trash!" he announced, flopping spread-eagled on the floor at Reyna's feet.

     "Nico?" Reyna said incredulously.