August: Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

"They're looking everywhere," Parker said, scratching his jaw. "Our chances of safety are the same here as they would be anywhere else. We could stay here a while, get a nice stockpile of supplies, then move further south."

Andi huffed and looked at Raleigh.

"Sounds good to me," Raleigh said, shrugging at Andi. He yawned. "I'm tired of all the running."

"You can't escape it." I only whispered the sentence. Raleigh and Andi didn't hear my statement.

Parker leaned closer to me, making our conversation private. "We didn't have to run when we stayed at the farmhouse. Maybe this will be similar."

"We had to run eventually..." I was losing myself to the memory.

"Well then let's enjoy it while we can," he said. "This place looks promising. I'd bet it also runs on well water."

Ah, a shower. That thought put a smile on my face.

"For now, get some sleep," he mumbled as he stood. "I'll keep watch for a while."

...

I got up the next morning, taking our clothing bag with me, and went to the closest bathroom. I dropped the bag by the door and turned the sink faucet to see if water came out. To my joy, it did. The first thing I did was use the toilet. I can't explain how much of a relief it is to use a toilet after squatting in the dirt for months. Then I stripped out of my dirty clothes and turned the shower on. The water was cold as I suspected, but at least it was a shower. I'd just have to make it quick.

After I cleaned my hair and rubbed my skin raw with a soapy loofa, I took a razor I'd gotten from a new package that I found in the cabinet and took care of everything I needed to with that. When I was finished, I stepped out of the shower and dried off with a towel, then dressed in clean, warm clothes. It was a relief to be clean again.

When I reentered the living room, Raleigh and Andi were still asleep and Parker was checking the front door, eating one of the protein bars we had found.

"That was quick," he said when he saw me.

"Yeah, well cold showers aren't my favorite," I answered.

He took the last bite of his protein bar and shrugged. "It's better than nothing."

"Towels are in the closet by the shower," I told him, and he made his way down the hallway.

Raleigh and Andi woke and after they ate a small breakfast of assorted nuts, they decided to take a look around outside while they waited for their turns in the shower.

Parker joined me in the living room after a bit. He was wearing the light gray, three quarter sleeved V-neck shirt. I noticed that he'd shaved which was a little disappointing because I'd thought the scruffy beard suited him.

Raleigh and Andi returned then.

"There's a stack of wood down under the deck," Raleigh announced. "We could use them to board up the windows from the inside."

"Great," Parker said, rubbing his hands together. "Let's get started."

A few Ferals were drawn to the noise of the hammer, but we quietly put them down with knives. Nothing was getting in this house. During the late afternoon, Andi and I went out and set up some traps. The house had a decent stockpile, but she insisted getting our share of meat was important.

A week went by and we had done nothing but hang around the house. I was starting to get antsy being cooped up, so I told Parker I thought we should take the day to scope out town.