July: Chapter 59

I hadn't remembered falling asleep. Or maybe I hadn't. Maybe I'd passed out.

I kept my eyes closed for a moment, just taking a second to try to figure things out. The consistent beeping nearby gave away that I was in some sort of clinic. My guess was the Zone; it was closer than the school. The discomfort in my back was gone, but I wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

I opened my eyes slowly, adjusting to the brightness. Yes, there were florescent lights above me, but the main source of light was coming from the window to my left. Bright, warm sunlight.

I turned my head to the right to see Parker sitting in a chair beside my bed with his head hung, his elbows on his knees, hands clasped between them. I began to reach toward him, and his eyes immediately snapped up to mine.

"Hi," he whispered, taking my hand in both of his, his eyes misty.

My lip began to tremble, my sight going blurry from tears. "I'm so sorry. I lost our baby, Parker. I'm so sorry."

He shook his head then reached up to hold my face in one hand. "The baby's fine. Everything's okay."

I could only stare at him, his words and his eyes so convincing that I felt myself hanging onto it, desperately waiting for him to continue as his hand moved down to hold mine.

"The doctor called it placental abruption. Part of the placenta detached. But they did an ultrasound and it was only- it was minor. Baby is just fine. Oxygen level is good, heart rate is normal. He's okay. They want you to take some medication for the rest of your pregnancy, just to be safe-"

I shook my head, caught up on only a single word he'd spoken. "He?"

Parker grinned, his eyes watering. "Yeah. It's a boy. We're going to have a son."

I chuckled through tears, fingers tightening around his.

A boy. A son. A tiny brown haired, brown eyed version of Parker, I was sure of it. I wanted to just forget everything that had happened and cement myself in this happiness, but there was still something I had to address before we could move on.

"I didn't sneak away," I told him, my eyes focused on him and him alone. "I was taken, and I- I couldn't get away. I promise I didn't sneak away."

"I know. I know you didn't," he assured me, bringing his forehead to rest against mine. "I'm so sorry for what I said to you, back at the school." He pulled away and ran a hand over his face with an exasperated sigh. "God, I thought calling you obtuse was going to be the last thing I ever said to you."

"Such a pedantic word," I teased, and I watched the smile grow on his face like it was the sunrise after an eternity of night. "I was being proud and selfish. You just... called me out on my shit, and sometimes I really need that. I was only mad because I knew you were right. It's infuriating, I'll have you know. You being right all the time."

"I'll try to be wrong more often."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, right."

"I think it's best if we stay here until you have the baby," he said after a short pause.

I frowned. "In this hospital room?"

"No," he chuckled. "Raleigh has a house for us. It's ready when we are."

"This isn't permanent, is it?"

He shook his head quickly. "Six weeks after the baby's born. At most. Just to ensure that everything goes smoothly, and that both you and the baby are healthy," he explained, rubbing his thumb soothingly across my knuckles. "I love Shepard, but obstetrics isn't what she has a degree in. There are doctors here who have performed hundreds of deliveries, who have dealt with all kinds of complications. Now, they've assured me that everything should go fine as long as you take it easy, but an abundance of caution never hurt."