June 17th, 1959

I was walking down the street from the market with two grocery bags in my hands, one in each.

I was skipping a bit and bouncing around because I was seeing George later this evening.

We were planning on seeing a new movie with Marilyn Monroe called 'Some like it Hot.' It looks really funny and George and I both like comedy.

As I turned the street corner, I suddenly stopped. I was shocked of what I had seen.

"Oh hey Diana."

I looked up to see Bobby, Nancy's boyfriend, with his arms around a mysterious girl, who had just finished snogging each others faces.

"Don't tell Nancy, will ya?" He asked, without a care in the world. .

I scoffed and unknowingly pulled an apple of of one bag and threw it as hard as I could at Bobby.

"You bitch!" He exclaimed, rubbing his arm where I hit him.

"You're to talk! You're sick!" I said turning around down the street.

"Well, fuck you!" He called to me.

Without looking back, I put my hand up to him and gave him the middle finger.

That made me feel pretty good again.

-

"George, I really need to do something with Nancy tonight...Sorry, how about another time?" I said, twirling the phone chord around in my fingers.

"Yeah, that'll be fine. Good luck," he sighed a little.

I had called off our date tonight because I was feeling really guilty about not telling Nancy. I had to, I mean, I was her best friend. And I couldn't keep this thing a secret! Bobby was a pig and I couldn't let Nancy keep going out with him.

"How about I try and see you later, if I get back home in time from Nancy's. How's that sound?"

"That's sounds great," I knew he was smiling on the other end of the phone.

"I love you," I said.

"Love you too," he replied.

I smiled to the phone and hung up.

-

"What did you want to tell me?" Nancy asked as she walked me upstairs to her bedroom.

"It's really serious..." I mumbled, I was nervous to see what her reaction would be.

"Aw, come on Diana. You can tell me anything! We're best friends!" She exclaimed, sitting down on her bed.

I hesitantly sat next to her, "Do you really want to know?"

"Yes yes! Please tell me!"

"Look, I'm telling you this because you're my best friend, okay? And I don't want you to get hurt otherwise."

Her facial expression had changed from excitement to concern, and she quieted down a bit, "What is it?"

"I saw Bobby earlier today... kissing another girl."

It almost looked like she stopped breathing. Her eyes looked grey.

"He would never-"

"He did..." I stopped her.

"But he said he loved me!" She said, beginning to cry.

"He's not good for you! He didn't love you Nancy..." I said, hugging her, "This is for the best. You need someone to actually love you. To care about you and want to marry you and love you forever."

"Like you and George?" She sniffled,  her tone sounded a bit jealous and rude.

"Well, kind of...But that's beside the point. We need to find someone for you," I said, changing the subject back.

"You always talk about George. Everyone talks about how perfect you guys are. Diana and George. Diana and George. George, George, George," she whined.

I pulled back from the hug and she crossed her arms.

"Just because I found someone good for me doesn't make it a bad thing, Nancy. Why are you so mad about it?"

She rolled her eyes, "You talk about it like it's the greatest thing in the world and like Bobby and I were nothing!"

"Well maybe Bobby and you were nothing!" I exclaimed.

She gasped, "Maybe you better leave."

I got up boldly from the bed, grabbed my things and left without a word.

Nancy was always so oblivious about Bobby.

-

I walked in the front door and heard the boys out in the back practicing.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed myself a cup of water and sat down at the table disgusted. I was so annoyed.

I faintly heard the guitars out back stop playing and some footsteps come up to the back door.

"Hey love," George peeked his head in through the door.

I waved at him a bit but didn't say anything.

George was soon pushed out of the way by John and Paul behind him.

"Well, I better be on my way," John said, grabbing his coat, "I'm meeting Cynthia, if you know what I mean," John nudged Paul's arm and soon said his goodbyes.

"What's wrong?" George said quietly, sitting down next to me.

"Nothing," I mumbled.

"Come on, what's wrong?" He asked again.

"I don't know if me and Nancy are friends anymore..."

"Oh..." he said, putting his arm around me.

"You always have me!" He smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

I laughed a little and then sighed.

"And you have your brother, and John. And what about Cynthia?! You and Cynthia are great friends!"

"You're right, Cynthia is a great friend," I said.

"Yeah, you can manage without Nancy. It'll be okay," he gave me a light kiss on my forehead and he got up from the table.

"Thanks," I smiled, looking up at him.

He gave me a wink and a grin and then trotted off to find Paul.

-
-
-
Yay! I finally updated! And I got 3k reads! Thanks so much!!💕