Chapter 57

I stayed in Zach's arms, clinging to his warmth and basking in the comfort he provided. My cheek rested against his solid chest, listening to the faint pattering of his heart beat. I was enclosed in his arms and I knew I was safe, he wouldn't let anything through. Ever.

I inhaled deeply, allowing the warm air to circulate through my body, flowing through every vein. The fresh scent of grass filled my nose and a cold wind battered against my bare skin. The booming of Zach's heartbeat rang in my ears and the taste of his lips lingered in my mouth.

Suddenly, a sharp snapping noise jolted me out of my serenity. The overwhelming fear washed over me like a tsunami and I felt Zach tense in my arms as he unhooked them from around his waist. He stepped around me, blocking me from harms way as a wolfs scent wafted over to us. I could see him stiffening, preparing to fight away any threat and my breath hitched in my throat.

My hands trembled as another rustling sound burst through the silence. I shakily inhaled and exhaled, desperate to calm my rapidly pounding heart. Zach's head shot to me and he sent me a comforting look before snapping back to the direction of the noise. A deep snarl echoed through the clearing as the wolf appeared.

The silvery grey beast stalked towards us, its blaring yellow eyes locked on me. The wolf had small ears that were pricked up, catching every beat my heart made as it threatened to burst out of my chest. Its long nose breathed in our scents as it continued to approach me.

Before me, Zach's large, broad caramel coloured wolf snarled and grumbled. His posture clearly indicated his ability to fight and his willingness to protect me. His long legs locked in position in front of me and he stood tall over the now small looking grey wolf.

Instantly, the grey wolf bowed it's head to Zach, signifying he didn't want to fight. However, he continued to advance towards me, reluctant on disobeying his Alpha. Zach barked out a warning but it went ignored so he too, stepped forward.

The two began circling each other, barking and grumbling. After some time, the grey wolf pounced at Zach and bared its sharp fangs as he launched at Zach's side, I held my breath as his teeth neared Zach but instantly Zach's claws were buried in his neck and with one quick bite, the wolf was dead.

Zach shifted back, his blue eyes blazing in anger as he glowered at the body before him. His jaw locked in it's square position as he gritted his teeth. His fists clenched at his sides before he turned to me and instantly, he relaxed.

"Are you ok?" I asked him, approaching his still tense form.

"I'm ok," he murmured, grasping my hips as I neared him. My heart stuttered at his simple touch and I wanted to take his lips in mine over and over again. Everything about this guy drew me in and he had captured me and held me hostage ever since.

He smirked as I surveyed him for injuries, probably thinking I was checking him out. Which I might have been. I could multitask.

"Kiss me," he whispered huskily, sending shudders along my spine. Every bone and muscle in my body melted and my skin tingled from his warm breath behind my ear.

He leant back and looked deep into my eyes. Every emotion I was feeling shone from my eyes, telling him every weakness and pain. I had been raised to be strong. I was to going be Alpha. I couldn't be weak, I had to be the strongest wolf. I had to represent the strength of my pack. But when Zach looked at me like that, I felt weak, vulnerable.

I pressed my lips to his and shot back at the snarling from behind me. His eyes glassed over with anger and fear as he snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me to him. My lips longed to be on his and felt cold and empty without him.

I focused on the events happening before me as a dark grey wolf emerged from the woods, followed by a pale brown. To the left, two more brown wolves appeared and on the right was a pale grey. Zach pushed me behind him and shifted so he could attack.

My heart pounding as they all stood, snarling. The sweat poured over my hands and I tugged my bottom lip between my teeth. There were 5 of them, and one of him. 5 vs 1. I knew Zach was strong, but some of these wolves looked just as strong. Some looked easily defeatable but in a group, Zach's odds were slim.

I watched, speechless as the pale brown wolf leaped at Zach, who effortlessly tossed him aside. He was determined, I could tell. He flung the pale wolf across the clearing before turning  to a darker brown one that had advanced beside him. It attempted to sneak up on Zach while his attention was elsewhere but Zach was smart.

He spun immediately and snapped his jaw at the wolf, collapsing it to the ground. Loud hisses and whimpers were let out and my heart ached for the innocent people who were just following the orders of their Alpha. Blood pooled around the wolf, flooding the green field in a deep crimson.

Another two wolves attacked and I saw ones teeth graze over Zach. He snarled and growled as the last one also approached and all three began to attack. He bit at the one, catching its skin in his teeth, but another clawed at him. I screamed as I saw the skin on his back shred open and release a gush of blood.

Immediately, I shifted, racing over to attack the wolf that hurt him. He growled at me, warning me to stay back but I barked back before pouncing. I occupied myself fighting off the dark grey wolf while Zach dealt with the lighter grey and the brown.

The dark, metallic grey wolf was much larger than me, and definitely stronger. I nipped and clawed at him as he leapt on top of me, successfully pinning me beneath him. He flashed his pearly fangs at me as his claws curled around my legs. I snapped and bit at him, desperate to catch his face but his bright yellow eyes simple glared back at me.

I continued to struggle in his hold when I heard a yelp from behind me. The wolf above me shifted to reveal a man around 30. He had dark brown, almost black hair that hung over his forehead. His dim green eyes held a glint of victory as his large hands clasped around both my arms.

I also transformed back and began thrusting in his arms, his grip only tightening as my glance fell to Zach. His wolf lay, unconscious on the ground across the clearing and I let out a scream, squirming desperately to get to him.

I had no idea if he was breathing and my chest constricted painfully as I fought to get free.

He couldn't be dead.

He couldn't be.

Tears streamed down my face as cries escaped my throat. My vision blurred and I barely noticed the three figures beside me. The wolves that were fighting Zach smirked as I screamed and cried at the limp body. The other that he had tossed across the clearing had also awoken and shifted back. The three men all stood, grinning as I broke down, still in the final mans arms.

"Please no," I sobbed. My throat was dry and sore and I struggled to catch my breath. He couldn't be dead. I couldn't live without him. I loved him. "Please," I screamed, begging, pleading, praying he would come back to me.

"He is alive," the one man spoke and relief flooded through me. He stood off to the side with the others, his dark hair was ragged and scrawny and he had soulless grey eyes. I shuddered as they gazed over me, cold fear running through my veins. "For now," he added.

"Please. Please don't kill him," I cried. I couldn't let him die, not after everything. I loved him. Just seeing his lifeless body on the floor was enough to make me break down. But I wouldn't, I was stronger than that. I had to be.

"If you cooperate, we won't," another man sneered and if Zach's life wasn't on the line, I would've bitten his head off by now. However, I knew that Zach's life was in my hands so I reluctantly nodded in agreement. "Good choice." The same man smirked and I felt the tears prick my eyes but I refused to let them fall.

Aggressively, the man who clamped my arms behind my back, yanked me across the clearing. My legs stumbled beneath me but I desperately tried to keep up. My gaze shifted between the four men and the cogs in my brain desperately attempted to calculate if I could fight them off.