Chapter 34

"You know what I don't understand?" Zach asked later that day as we sat through English. He leaned back in his chair and turned to face me, his eyebrows were pulled together.

"Whats that?" I asked, smiling at his confused expression.

"How you can forgive the guy so quickly and then defend him." He frowned, narrowing his eyes as he awaited my response. He began clicking his pen against the desk in irritation as he spoke.

"He was protecting his daughter." I reminded him, tutting at his inability to forgive innocent people. I reached to take the pen from his grip, the constant clicking driving me mad.

"Don't care, he threatened you. He should have been killed," he grunted and I rolled my eyes.

"You and my dad are so similar its scary." I shuddered. They both acted and then later thought about the consequences rather than thinking before they act. They also both seemed to have some anger problems built up.

"I refuse to forgive anyone that breathes around you without your permission, let alone someone that breaks into your house and paints blood onto your carpet to spell out a threat," he hissed, grasping my chin in his warm hands and planting a peck on my lips. He reached for my hand and began to play with my fingers as I replied.

"His daughters life was on the line and all he did was paint my floor," I rationalised and he grumbled, flicking my fingers and stroking my palm.

"When you say it like that you make your fathers actions seem irrational," he muttered and I giggled.

"They were!" I exclaimed.

"I would have strangled him to death without blinking," he growled, interlocking our fingers.

"And I would never have forgiven you." I smiled and he contemplated the options.

"That's the only reason your dad didn't, I haven't met anyone else that can influence someone like you can with him," he explained, his face contorted into an astounded look.

"Thats because you never met my mom. She could get him to do just about anything." I smiled and he turned in his chair to face me properly. "He was the big bad Alpha that made the rules but all his decisions went through her first."

"Really?" He laughed.

"Yeah, when I was younger, I remember running around the territory with Ryder, causing trouble like we always did," I laughed at the memory. "I definitely took being the Alphas daughter for granted." I giggled.

"Anyway, my dad was off in the woods away from the territory where he used to have fights with the other pack members. They weren't anything serious, just for fun, but it could get pretty violent sometimes and my mom had banned him from doing it."

Zach's eyebrow raised and I laughed. "Ryder and I ended up in the woods and I saw him fighting with another wolf. We pushed our way to the front to watch and I remember bragging that my dad would win. But then another wolf joined and I got scared that he couldn't fight off two of them... so I joined in to help."

"What?" He exclaimed, eyes wide.

I bit my lip. "I snuck up behind one of them and bit their leg... but on instinct, they turned to attack and I ended up getting hurt. So obviously, my dad had to tell my mom."

"Did she kill him?" He asked with a laugh.

"She may as well have," I said, "she was so angry at him, especially because I had got hurt. The next day all fights between pack members were banned and he ended up sleeping on the office sofa for a while."

"No way."

I nodded. "And I may have used it to my advantage quite a bit," I said guiltily, "I think I got everything I wanted for the next few months."

I couldn't help but laugh, remembering how guilty my dad was back then. He pretty much coddled me for months, letting me sit with him in his office and playing games with me whenever I asked. I got to eat what I wanted, watch what I wanted and come and go as I pleased until eventually my mom realised what I was doing and forgave him.

"She sounds a lot like you," Zach commented with a smile.

"Yeah in some ways. But she was more level headed than me, I got some of dads temper." I giggled and he nodded. "But she always knew exactly what to do in any situation, no matter what was going on she had the best answer and everything always worked out for the best." I swallowed the lump in my throat as Zach squeezed my hand.

"I wish I could've met her," he whispered.

"Me too, she would've liked you," I murmured.

A single tear slid down my cheek and Zach quickly flicked it away and planted a kiss on my forehead. "I wish she was here now, she would know exactly what to do to keep me calm. She would easily be able to make my dad see straight and stop his anger," I whispered and Zach pulled me to him and wrapped his arms tightly around me. I leant against his chest as he placed kisses on the top of my head.

****

That evening, when I returned home, I slipped into my fathers office while he worked and cleared my throat, lingering in the doorway. He glanced up out the corner of his eye and raised a brow. "Yes?"

"Are you okay?" I asked him quietly, aware that no matter how he was feeling, he wouldn't actually tell me.

He nodded and narrowed his eyes. "Are you?"

With a soft sigh, I moved to the sofa on the other side of the room and sunk onto it. "Just thinking about mom," I told him, watching as a frown formed on his lips while he nodded. Without a word, he rose from his desk chair and crossed the room, sitting down beside me and curling an arm around my shoulder. "I miss her," I told him.

"So do I." The corner of his mouth twitched up into a half smile for a moment and I could almost see the memories in his eyes. 

"Why did they take her?" I asked, my voice wavering. "And why do they want me now too?" I looked up to see his jaw clenched and his eyes focused on the wall ahead. "Please dad, please tell me."

He sighed loudly and took my hands in his. "After they took her," he started, gritting his teeth as he spoke, "I was angry."

"I remember," I whispered and he let out a soft laugh.

"I wanted to get her back but they're a big pack honey, it's difficult to get onto their territory." He pulled me a little closer to him as he spoke. "I never managed to get anywhere near the Alpha or find your mother, but I did meet a woman." I frowned up at him as he sighed again. "She was with the Alpha at the time and they had a child together," he muttered, shaking his head. "All I could think about was you, back home asking when your mon was coming back. So I killed her."

My eyes widened, the idea of my father hurting someone innocent made me feel sick. "You killed her?" I gasped.

"I regret it," he told me instantly, "but he took my wife from me... I wanted him to feel the same pain."

Tears filled my eyes and I shook my head. "That's why they want me?" I asked him. "They want revenge on you?"

"Possibly," he seethed, his grip on me tightening. "Putting you in danger was the last thing I wanted to do... you know that don't you?"

I nodded, knowing that with absolute confidence. My dad always protected me and I knew he never intended for this to happen. "I'm sorry Ella."

I smiled up at him reassuringly. "I know," I whispered, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. He held onto me tightly and I sighed. "Can I stay with you tonight?" I asked him softly, thinking about the blood smeared carpet at the foot of my bed. The thought of anyone entering my room while I was asleep caused shivers to run down my spine, even if it had turned out to be a sweet elderly man from the pack who's only intention was to keep his daughter safe. 

"Of course you can, honey," he responded, tightening his hold on me a little bit. "I'll have your floor cleaned tomorrow but you can stay with me as long as you need. I promise you nobody is getting into this house again and nobody will take you from me. Nobody," he growled out, holding me tightly against him.