Chapter 29

I ran through the woods as fast as my wolf legs would let me, I sped through the village and across the inner circle and didn't slow until I practically ran into my front door. I burst in, swinging the door wide open and slamming it closed. I wasn't met with yelling from my father about slowing down or being quiet so I knew he was in his office.

I twisted the handle and stumbled into the office to see Zach and my dad giving me quizzical looks. "Ella! What have I told you about knocking!" My dad hissed while Zach stared at me, eyebrows furrowed.

"The two of you have been sneaking around and keeping secrets for weeks now. I want to know; are we going to war?" I demanded, raising my eyebrows expectantly.

They both looked taken aback, staring at me with wide eyes. "What?" My dad questioned, studying me closely. For a second I considered the possibility that I was overthinking this but they were definitely keeping something from me and I wanted to know what.

"We are under attack, right?" I asked, slower and a lot calmer this time. "I mean the wolfsbane on peoples doorsteps, the fire and the cub. Someone is attacking us?"

They both shared a glance and stared back at me as I waited. After a while of hesitation my dad cleared his throat. "We think so yes."

My eyes bugged out of their sockets at his honest answer. I had been expecting a lot more denial and anger from him before I finally got the truth.

But my heart fluttered as I realised what this meant. We had been right, someone was attacking the pack and the last time that happened, my mom was taken.

"Is it the pack that took mom?" I asked softly and their jaws dropped. My fathers eyes were wide with shock as well as worry and I frowned, feeling nerves flutter in my stomach. Meanwhile, Zach's eyes narrowed as he searched my face for something.

"Why would you think that, honey?" My father finally asked, his voice steady despite his surprise.

"The video, the guy at the store... him," I said pointing at Zach who continued to stare. "The pack that killed your pack, its the same one that took my mom isn't it?"

"How did you-." Zach started but I cut him off.

"Are they after you? Is that why you're here? You need protection?" I turned back to my father and raised my eyebrows expectantly.

They both remained silent for a long time, exchanging glances and giving me confused looks. I awaited their answers with baited breath. I needed to know if this pack was really after Zach... because if they were, there was a chance I would lose him and the thought made me sick.

"Ella, honey, it is the same pack, yes. The pack that took your mother did kill Zach's pack. And we do think that it is them that are attacking now," my dad finally replied, speaking slowly, as if he was trying to choose his words carefully. He watched me closely for a reaction and my heart ached.

I turned to Zach. "Thats why he told you about my mom when you asked," I said quietly with a slow nod. "He never tells anyone but he told you."

"Ella, how did you know he had asked me?" My father questioned, anger lacing his tone but he didn't yell or growl like he usually would. I bit my lip and turned back to meet his narrowed eyes.

"I heard you. I was asleep and when I woke up I heard you talking... so I listened. Sorry." I winced as I waited for his lecture but he only nodded slowly.

I struggled to regain my composure after his shocking relaxed response. I turned back to Zach. "Why do they want you?"

"What makes you think they do?" He tilted his head, narrowing his eyes as he searched my face.

"Well, thats why you joined the pack isn't it? Because you had no protection on your own?" He paused and then nodded slowly, affirming my suspicions.

"So, you have been playing detective this whole time?" My dad asked and I could hear the amusement in his tone.

"Are you mad?"

"Not a lot," he responded and I raised my eyebrows incredulously. "How did you figure out that it was the same pack?" He asked, completely ignoring my stunned reaction.

"Blake did," I told him and he narrowed his eyes. "He realised the timing matched and that it would explain a lot about you guys and the secrets you have been keeping."

"Blake huh? The whole gang have been investigating then?" He laughed and I nodded.

"Dad?" I whispered after a few beats of silence. He nodded and I took a long, deep breath, nervous to ask him the question. "Does this mean we are going to war?"

"What?" He furrowed his brows at me.

I shrugged. "You must want revenge on them," I said softly, "is that whats going on, you're preparing to fight them?"

He looked completely taken aback for a moment before he shook his head. "Ella, I wouldn't put the pack or you in danger like that, you know that."

I lowered my head. "But they took mom," I whispered. While the most part of me was relieved we weren't going to war, a small part really wanted revenge on the people who stole my mother from me.

"I know they did honey," he said softly, stepping closer and curling his arms round me. "But I can't put you in danger like that."

I nodded and hugged him back for a long time before looking up at him. "Are you going to tell me what is going on then?" I asked, hopefulness lacing my tone.

"Are you sure you want to know? Ignorance is bliss, honey," he said, watching me with an odd expression. He looked almost... sad.

I nodded despite my concern. "I want to know what's been going on," I told him indefinitely.

"Okay," he said with a nod, "what do you want to know?"

"Um..." I thought for a second, not knowing where to start. "What was the deal you two made?" He narrowed his eyes at me and I grinned. "I know you wouldn't offer to protect him for free so what did you get out of it?"

He smiled slightly but it was almost a sad smile. "Smart girl," he beamed. "Honey, its not really Zach that they want. He is safer in a pack but he isn't their main target," he informed me.

"Then who is?" I was even more confused now, who else could they possibly want? I had been sure it was Zach. That's what made sense.

"Think about it sweetheart," Zach said. "Think about all the attacks."

"What about them?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Who has been attacked?" He asked me.

"Well... Mrs Edwards cub, Alexia, Jordan, Ryder and Blake..." I paused, realising exactly what he was getting at. My friends were attacked. Most of them. "My friends." I whispered. My friends were the ones in danger. But what could an entire pack want with all of my closest friends?

"Exactly. Now think about what you asked me. You asked me why I went to school if I didn't have to. If I was their target I wouldn't go to a public school where they could easily attack without the rest of the pack."

I thought about it for a moment. He was right, school was the most dangerous place for us, there were a lot of humans and very few wolves which meant no protection and we couldn't use our wolf skills to fight. Nobody would attend if they were a target.

Then why would he? Why would he risk it? What was at school that was so important? Why were my friends attacked? Why them?

"Oh my god." I thought I was going to throw up as the realisation hit. "It's me."

****

Did you guys figure it out?

What were your theories?

Please comment and vote x