Chapter 58

I was trapped.

The two lighter brown wolves walked in front of me, blocking my view as I was shoved and tugged back down the hillside. The dark grey wolf had a firm grip on my arms and held them painfully behind my back. On either side of me, were the pale grey and the dark brown wolves that sent victorious smirks to me as we walked.

The image of Zach's lifeless body flashed in my minds eye over and over, causing a tugging pain at my heart. My eyes welled with tears as I thought about him waking and seeing I was gone.

The fact that this was most likely the last time I would see him shattered my heart into a million tiny pieces. I longed for one more kiss, one more touch, to look into those beautiful eyes one last time.

"Faster," the man pinning my arms to my back hissed. He had leant forward and pressed his lips against my ear, sending a nauseous feeling to erupt in my stomach. His breath was cold and sticky and made me shudder in disgust while he cackled behind me.

His voice was coarse and rough and he sounded as though he had a sore throat 24/7. When he spoke, the urge to tear my ears off became increasingly strong and his laugh was an evil, devilish cackle that sent fear to my very core.

Soon we neared the village and the chaotic atmosphere had turned manic since I had left. Wolves were fighting left, right and centre. Deep crimson pooled across the tarmac and lush green grass.

As we crossed the streets in the direction of the town square, heads snapped to watch us walk. Many faces displayed anger and sadness, and those were the ones that were familiar to me. The rest held looks of victory and relief, knowing that their Alpha would be pleased.

For some reason, my eyes fell onto a small patch of grass between two houses. I saw a woman from my own pack, in her wolf form, snarling and stalking towards another wolf. This wolf was clearly from the other pack as they held an unfamiliar scent. What surprised me was that the wolf was still a cub. It couldn't have been older that 13 and was fighting adults.

The sight made me sick. Did this Alpha not even care about his own pack? Could he really just endanger a child like that? What lengths was he really willing to go to in order to capture me? Questions flooded my mind as I was dragged closer to the square.

I caught sight of Ryder in the middle of a fight with two wolves and dug my feet into the ground, desperate to make sure he was ok. Apparently, the action didn't go unnoticed and I felt the breath of the man behind me on my ear.

"Keep walking, or we will kill him," he threatened menacingly and reluctantly, I kept going, leaving Ryder to fight with tears spilling down my cheeks.

We reached the square and the sight that greeted us made my legs buckle beneath my weight. Suddenly, my bones turned to jelly and my weight caused me to collapse. If it weren't for the tight grip on my arms, I would've fallen flat on my face.

In the square, crowds stood around, from both packs, staring at the show. A man, probably in his late 40's, stood on one side of the square. He had short chocolatey brown locks with this wisps of grey weaving through them. His hooded green eyes were ablaze and were narrowed threateningly. He was fairly tall and towered high above me, with reasonably sized muscles. However they didn't compare to Zach's.

This man, which I assumed was Alpha Dean, was standing in a stance that suggested he was about to fight, glaring at my dad. My dad. The butterflies fluttered manically in my stomach, their wings flapping against my insides while my eyes locked onto the two men.

Their snarls and growls echoed through the village, silencing everyone nearby. A roaring howl ripped through the silence and instantly the two men shifted into two large, bulky wolves. The snarls and grunt continued as they circled each other.

The man behind me let out another cackling laugh as I watched the scene in front of me, dumbstruck. I wanted to scream and protest. I wanted to tell my dad he didn't need to fight. That it was too late. I wanted to beg and plead for it to stop and scream and shout at the top of my lungs until my throat ran dry.

But I couldn't. My jaw parted and I screamed and yelled and thrashed but no sound came out. Struggling in the mans grip was a waste of time, I was trapped and his hold was firm. The tears streamed down my cheeks like a waterfall cascading after a storm.

Alpha Dean suddenly lunged forward, tackling my dad to the ground. Another silent scream escaped me as his claw barely misses my fathers eye. In return, his teeth tore into Alpha Deans flesh and he instantly yelped and backed off.

That yelp. That one small sound escaping his lips turned the tables. It was weakness. Plain and simple. He showed weakness and now everyone in the two packs knew who the stronger Alpha was.

Sharp claws dug into my arm as the wolves surrounding me flashed their eyes in anger. I watched as my dads eyes lit up slightly. He knew he could win. Now Alpha Deans reputation was dented, he would be an easier opponent.

Right in front of me, I watched as the black of night clashed with with stormy grey. You would think the two colours would produce a silky, dark grey colour but they didn't. Instead, raw red pooled around them as claws and teeth clashed and slashed through flesh. Blood erupted from in between them like lava from a volcano.

Then it happened.

Both Alphas suddenly snapped their heads and something had clearly caught their eyes. That something was me. Alpha Deans face contorted into a smirk, his eyes sparkling with victory as he saw me surrounded by his pack.

My father, on the other hand, his face fell. While his eyes flooded with the relief that I was safe, his face dropped at the sight of me, caught and in danger.

Beside me, a familiar figure appeared, rage and revenge swirling in his icy cold eyes. His jaw was as sharp as a knife and squared as his teeth clenched and ground together vigorously. His fists balled at his side and I knew his nails would rip through his skin. But he was ok. He was up and he was ok. That was all that really mattered.

The next events all happened at once. My fathers eyes locked with mine as we silently spoke to each other. His eyes were clouded with sadness and regret while my own reflected how much I loved him and assured him he was blameless.

Then he pounced. I watched as Alpha Deans claws shredded through my fathers chest. His knees buckled and a bone chilling scream escaped my mouth as I watched his body collapse to the ground. Pools of dark red surrounded him as my tears flooded my face.

I thrashed around carelessly, desperate to escape the mans clutches and reach him. He lay limp on the pavement, drowning in his own blood as screams continued to echo from my mouth around the valley.

I don't know how it happened but the next thing I was free and running towards him, sinking to my knees beside him. "No. No please," I repeated over and over. As if it would bring him back. As if it would change something.

But it didn't. He was gone. He died because of me. I could've stopped this. I could've protected him but I didn't. I let him die. He was dead. And he was never coming back.

Two arms encircled my waist and I was pulled backwards against the familiar chest. I nuzzled my face in it and let the tears stream down my face and the sobs escape me. "I'm so sorry baby," came Zach's soothing voice.

"You need to come with me." That voice. The voice that gave me nightmares for weeks. The frosty, menacing sound sent a wave of shivers over me and I realised that my father died to protect me. Did I prevent further bloodshed or did I make sure he hadn't died in vain?