Chapter 35

The weekend quickly came. The rest of the week was quiet while we waited around for an attack. I had found I spent most of my time waiting, waiting for another attack, or a sign or something from this pack. Zach spent the week glued to my side and the rest of my friends weren't far behind.

My dad spent the week training as many wolves as possible, creating an army ready for the attack. After Joe's betrayal, he had become much more strict with the pack, ensuring that nobody else dared to go against him. People had been punished left right and centre for who knows what.

Each day after school, Zach would help me with some training to fight and the rest of my friends would show up when they could to learn some good skills. Everyone around me seemed to be preparing for battle. Ryder, especially, was on constant alert, listening in to everything to make sure nobody knew anything or that nobody was at the border.

The full moon was a week away and there was a slight panic that they would attack then, while we were all split and out in the open. I, for one, thought that an attack on a full moon would be better as we would be in wolf form so it would be more difficult for them to take me without hurting or killing me. Zach didn't think that was a good thing.

I had spent the entire morning with Zach and the rest of my friends, all of us fighting each other to prepare. I didn't know how many members of the pack were coming for me but apparently everyone was preparing for hundreds of them to come.

Now, Zach was helping Jordan to control her wolf while Caroline and Blake fought. Ryder was off with Alexia somewhere, scouting about for any type of threat and I sat, resting against a tree.

I was so sick of having constant observation, even if it was my friends and Zach. I couldn't do anything alone so I took this opportunity to sneak away for 5 minutes. I knew it was stupid but I needed a minute alone, besides, I could defend myself long enough for them to run to me.

I ploughed through the woods as fast as my legs would carry me, desperate to run and feel the freedom I got when I did. Before I knew it, I had reached the outskirts of town and made up my mind to get a drink at the cafe. I was safe there, not a single wolf would risk exposure and there were plenty of humans in there on a Saturday.

I took my seat at my booth after ordering a hot chocolate. It was especially cold today and I had spent all morning in the woods in human form, even though I desperately wanted to turn and warm up under my wolfs fur coat. I sipped my hot chocolate for a while until I heard a voice beside me.

"Ella?" They asked incredulously and I grunted. I looked up to see his large form at the end of the table. His light, dirty blond hair was ruffled on his head and hung across his forehead.

"Mason," I huffed, rolling my eyes as he sat down opposite me. He glanced around the cafe before setting his eyes back on me.

"You're alone." His hazel, brown eyes narrowed at me as he spoke, his lips slightly downturned in a frown.

"Yeah, I needed a minute," I explained, taking a gulp of hot chocolate. He let out a deep sigh, knowing he had just put himself in the middle of something unintentionally.

"So they don't know you are here?" He nodded and raised his brows.

"No they don't." I sighed. "But they will soon I presume." I nodded to his phone that he had pulled out of his pocket. He hesitated for a couple of seconds before sighing and placing it onto the table.

I furrowed my eyebrows as he placed it down and stared at him incredulously. "I'm not going to ask it, but what would your answer be?" He mumbled and I knew exactly what he was asking. His posture relaxed slightly as he leant back on the sofa.