Ch. 23: The One Who Cheated Death

~SONG: HEAVEN BY AILEE (ENGLISH COVER)~

**RIN'S POV**

"AIR!!!!!!" I screamed, making my throat burn.

But I knew, I didnt want to but I did. I knew. As soon as Air's hand slipped out of mine I knew it was too late.

I heard something shatter and Lucifer let out a horrific scream.

"Rin!!!" Yukio yelled, running to me and quickly trying to drag me away from the crater.

"Yukio—" I said but just then the flames turned into a gigantic white explosion, the wind blowing us back a couple of feet.

"Eh!?" Yukio said. "What's happened to Lucifer?! He's gone!"

My eyes widened as Air's body flew out of the explosion like a lifeless towell, making impact with the ground and rolling a few feet.

"Air!!!" I immediately ran over to her body. She was bruised and burned very badly, and both her hands bore deep cuts on them. When I came to her she was conscious for about half a second before her eyeballs rolled back and her eyelids shut.

"Oh God..." I whispered, my voice shaking. "Air... why? Wh-why..."

I pressed on her neck, her wrists, her palms, desperately trying to find a pulse. "N-No..." I said. "This... this can't be it..."

I leaned down and pressed my ear to the left side of her chest, listening for a heart beat or breathing pattern. Only silence. "This... this can't be it..." I repeated. "THIS CANT BE IT! AIR!" I grabbed her shoulders and started violently shaking her. Not even a twitch. I shook her even more. "AIR! WAKE UP! I KNOW YOU'RE ALIVE! YOU HAVE TO BE! AIR!"

Shura put a hand on my shoulder. "Kid..." She said sympathetically.

I violently shrugged her hand off my shoulder. "DONT TALK TO ME AS IF SHE'S DEAD! SHE'S NOT DEAD!"

"I'll call Suzuki." Yukio murmured. I held Air in my arms, staring down at her vacant face, warm tears falling from my eyes.

"I... never asked what her favorite ice cream flavor was... or what type of flower she liked best..." I whispered. "If I knew, I would get her some..."

**AIR'S POV**

"Hey, Air." I heard a voice say. A female voice, soft and sweet... but mature. I could also detect a slight Russian accent... only a faint one.

"Who's there?" I called out.

"Me, baka." The voice said. I looked to the front of me and saw beautiful pale woman with wavy black hair and pale gray blue eyes. There was something about that face that looked familiar to me, I've seen that face before.

The woman smiled. "Dont recognize your own Ma?"

My eyes widened, for moment my heart stopped.

"M-Mom...?" I whispered hoarsely.

She opened up her arms, tears running down her face. "You've grown so much Ares..." She said quietly.

Without hesitation I threw myself into her arms, hugging her tightly.

Pippa... she's here in the flesh... she's here...

My breath hitched and silently let happy tears fall from my face.

She stroked my hair. "Airsha, Airsha..." She cooed.

"Am... am I dead?" I asked.

She frowned. "Airsha, you're fifteen... you should be dating boys, shopping out with girl friends, living your life. Why do this?"