Ch. 39: Not a Thorn in Sight

Another update hiii. This one was super fast I know. Hope you enjoy! I'll see you next chapter.
----------------------------------------

I have always dreamed of the day I got a family.

Not just friends like Bo, Koko, and Chris, but a real actual family.

One that I could call my own.

One that I had family dinners with and we'd laugh and ask each other how our day was.

Though the family I got consisted of no parents,

When I got that vision about Ares and Alexander,

I was happy that I had some form of family.

But the thing was,

I thought too highly of it.

Acting as though we were close and loving even though we barely know each other was just a figment of my imagination.

I kept believing that we were the family I had always dreamed of...

I slowly opened my eyes as I felt my thoughts flooding into my mind, knowing I was now fully awake.

I let out a sigh as I looked up at what looked like the bright lights of the ER.

And that's all it was.

I thought to myself as tears blurred my eyesight.

Just a dream that would never come true. I realized that when Alexander turned against Ares so quickly and shot her when we were looking for Mara demons.

To think I would ever be so delusional to believe that siblings who have never met before could become so close in such a short amount of time.

Without thinking I accidentally let out a sarcastic laugh.

You really were living in a dream land, Oz.

"Hey, you just woke up, why do you look so damn upset?" I heard a deep voice say.

I looked over to see Bon sitting at my bedside.

"Ryuji..." I said, smiling at him.

And maybe it was just my imagination, but I thought I saw him blush.

I asked him what happened and he told me everything.

Apparently shapeshifter demons can materialize themselves as people's fears, even going as far as to act out scenes. Berberis fruit keeps those demons from playing tricks on you, so that's why I got attacked. Now I was in Suzuki's infirmary.

"So you can thank Bo." He said. "I don't know she heard you or how she saw the shapeshifter prints without the fruit but... I don't know... I'm still really messed up by that. She's... amazing."

"She really is." I replied. "But I would expect as much. Bo is stubborn, if she says a demon can't make her see things then a demon can't make her see things."

"That's... exactly what she said." Ryuji said.

I sighed and smiled.

I couldn't help but want to slap myself for carelessly throwing my fruit away. If I only I had listened to what Yukio said about the berberis fruit, none of this would've happened.

"Toss me my backpack would you?" I asked him.

"How do you feel?" Ryu said as he give me my backpack.