Chapter 23: Tears & Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

As I lift the material off my eyes, I can't believe what I see.

We're at the doors of the stadium from the night we met. I'm standing in front of the beginning of a trail of beautiful red roses. The stadium is illuminated by hanging, white paper lanterns. Tears immediately cloud my vision as I take in the sight in front of me.

"Niall," I sniff. "This is beautiful--it's perfect. You're perfect." I can't help but smile sheepishly, remembering when he said those same words at the stadium when I surprised him.

"Just like you," he grins back. As my eyes adjust to the darkness, I look to see that Niall changed into a tuxedo.

"You look incredible," I tell him as tears begin falling down my cheeks.

"You can thank Liam for the tux," Niall laughs. "Come on, there's a lot more to see," he says as he grabs my hand.

As we walk down the center aisle, something catches my eye. I turn to my left to see a seat covered in a large red paper heart.

"Why's that there?" I ask, confusion clear in my voice.

"That was your seat at the concert," he responds, grinning widely.

Here come the waterworks.

Niall chuckles as he wipes the tears from my cheeks. "I didn't think you'd cry this much," he chuckles. Normally I'd say something sassy back, but I decide not to ruin this perfect moment with such a perfect man.

I look up to the stage to see a large white screen hanging from the ceiling. As Niall leads me up the same steps from that night, I see the stool is in the same place as when he and the boys sang to me. "Sit here," he directs. I nod and take a seat on the familiar stool. Niall pulls one up next to me, just like that night and he directs his attention to the screen. So, I follow his lead.

The guitar begins to fill the empty stadium, and I soon realize that it's 'Little Things,' but not the familiar rendition I'm used to. Normally Zayn's voice would fill my ears, except this time, it's Niall's. But at the second verse where Liam would normally sing, the voice changes. I instantly recognize that voice: Paul McCartney. Niall and Paul sing the chorus together, but the voice switches yet again. I recognize that voice instantly too: Ed Sheeran. My three favorite artists in one song...Niall is so thoughtful, sweet, and just...amazingly perfect in every way.

As the song plays, a slide show starts up. There's a collage of pictures from the past couple months dancing across the screen. There's even the pictures from the first night we met, walking along the streets in the slide show. There's a few pictures of me sleeping, and many of me that I never knew he took.

As the song begins winding down, Niall gets up off his stool and steps in front of me. He takes my hand in his, kissing my knuckles. The song fades from the speaker and a man with a guitar walks out onto the stage, stepping off to the side. Niall's beautiful voices soon fills my ears as the guitar plays in the background.

I won't let these little things slip

Out of my mouth

But if it's true

It's you

Oh, it's you they add up to

I'm in love with you

And the next line makes me break down into sobs.

And all our little things

I immediately launch myself into Niall's arms and wrap my arms around his neck, aggressively pressing my lips to his. Niall chuckles against my lips, but soon begins kissing me back as my salty tears fall onto our joined lips.