Chapter 7: Facing Reality

As I walked up my driveway, my brain was fuzzy. What was happening between Niall and I? We've only known each other for a few days, yet I feel like I've known him for years. We've gotten along so well. And he's kissed me twice on the cheek and told me I'm beautiful. Does he have a crush on me too?

Brooke, you sound like an idiot. We're talking about Niall Horan of One Direction here. You're just an average girl. He could have any girl in the world. Why would he choose you? I shook my head, trying to push the negative thoughts into the back of my mind.

As I opened the front door, I winced. My mother was standing in the doorway, arms crossed, anger in her eyes. "Where the hell have you been?" I hesitated. Should I tell her the truth or lie?

"I told you, I was with Sarah all day," I lie.

"No, Sarah's mother called and told me she didn't come home until mid afternoon."

Shit.

"And here you are, coming home at 10 on a school night. Where were you?"

Damn it...I couldn't keep lying to her. "I was with One Direction."

She laughed out loud. "And you expect me to believe that?"

"Mom, you talked to Niall on the phone."

"Yeah, when you were at the concert."

"No, Mom, actually that was after the concert. I hung out with them afterwards and again today. Look," I say, showing her the picture of Niall and I that he took.

I bit my lip, nervous as she studied the picture for what seemed like forever. "Well, if this is true, why would you lie?"

"Well, I didn't...not really, I guess. Sarah was supposed to come with us but she never showed up. I thought she'd come eventually but she said she didn't feel well." Sarah had texted me letting me know she wouldn't be joining us on the boat, but my mom didn't need to know that.

"Alright, but no more lying. Why are they hanging out with you anyway?"

Ouch. "Well I was chosen to go on stage by one of the security guards, and Niall asked me to go hang out with them later," I admitted. "But I guess they like me since we've hung out a lot."

She raised a brow. "And you seem to be spending most of your time with Neil?"

"Niall," I correct her. "But yeah, Niall and I have been spending a lot of time together," I respond, blushing a little.

"Well, I guess it's okay you're spending time with him. Just be careful...he's famous. If he finds someone he likes better, he'll dump you for someone else."

"No, Mom, he's not like that. I haven't known him long, but I know he isn't that kind of guy."

She shook her head. "Whatever you say. But just remember not to stray too far from reality. He's rich and famous and you're not...it isn't a good combination."

Her words stung, but they were true. Should I stay away from Niall to save myself from heartache? Or should I just see what happens? Hell, you only live once, and not everyone has the chance to meet someone famous, never mind spend time with someone famous. But that's not how I saw Niall. He's so down to earth and normal. He's not caught up in the spotlight and he's a great guy. I decided that I was going to see where this goes. I wasn't going to second guess myself, but I decided that I'd keep my walls up.

I realized my mother was staring at me; I zoned out as I argued with myself. "Sorry Mom, just thinking," I reassure her. I couldn't believe she took this news so calmly. She's usually really strict, but she was really understanding tonight.