십구

CHAPTER NINETEEN

AFTER COMFORTING a secretive Ban-ryu, Minnie left her boyfriend by the stream and went off on one of her usual walks

AFTER COMFORTING a secretive Ban-ryu, Minnie left her boyfriend by the stream and went off on one of her usual walks. She loved walking through the gardens of the Hwarang House, they were beautiful, filled with blossoming flowers and fresh green grass. It was lunch now, meaning most of the men were off, leaving the gardens quiet and peaceful. Minnie was annoyed to hear the sound of grunting and breaking wood as she rounded the corner.

"Moo-myung?" Minnie called, catching sight of her best friend staring painful down at his bleeding palm. "Why are you bleeding?" She rushed to wrap the wound with her Hwarang headband.

Moo-myung was silent as he watched the young women care to his cut. Minnie continued to question him once she noticed the destroyed wooden sword broken in half on the ground. "She knows." He mumbled, while clenching and unclenching his bleeding hand.

"Leave it alone." Minnie hissed, smacking the back of his hand in warning. "Who knows what?" She sighed, before placing a finger under Moo-myung's chin and forcing him to look up at her.

"Ah-ro, she knows." Moo-myung snapped, pulling away from his friend's touch. "She knows I'm not Seon-u."

"That's good though, now you can finally admit your ending love to her." Minnie joked, nudging the young man's side.

"I told her about Moon." Moo-myung muttered, kicking at the pebbles by his feet. He hated bringing up his late best friend in front of Minnie, afraid she would break down.

"You just told her that her brothers dead?" Minnie repeated, anger dripping from her voice. "You told her in the middle of the Hwarang House, that her brother who she hasn't been in twelve years is dead? Did I hear you right?" The feisty young women hissed, inching closer to a guilty Moo-myung.

"Yes." He whispered, replaying the horrible memory in his head. "She wouldn't stop asking questions Minnie."

"That poor girl." Minnie gasped, already imagining a distraught Ah-ro roaming the streets of the capital. "You need to fix this Moo." She reminded her friend, who nodded in response.

"I will, for Mak-moon." Moo-myung assured, before rushing off.

"Hey!" Minnie exclaimed, running after the young man. "You still have my headband!"

► ◄ ► ◄ ► ◄ ► ◄

Minnie yawned in to the palm of her hand, as she made her way to bed. It was late and nearly everyone was in bed asleep, but the young women had gone searching for milk to help ease her worried mind. She had been worried sick about Ah-ro since Moo-myung told her that she know knew of her brother's death. When she did see the girl earlier this evening, she held herself back and allowed the mourning girl more time to come to terms with the tragic news.