Chapter 28: The Week, The Rose,and The Sleep

The four ended up staying here for a week, because their parents were out of town and they had no relatives in a 20-mile radius.

Yes, readers, I did have tons of half-awkward, half-adorable moments with Jack.

Most of them are of us holding hands without us knowing, or Violet or Naomi asking, “Are you two dating or something?”

I will not showcase those moments, thank you very much.

After that week, it was official. Everyone in the house had a power, except for Kristal. 

I worked overtime with her, trying to find it. If that threat-which we will get back to later-attacked her, at least she had some sort of backup.

It was midnight, at least two days after the four had left.  I had been awake with Kristal the whole time. 

“Okay, this is the last idea. There is a 50% chance you’ll get it.” I said, a slight slur in my words.

“Why don’t you go to bed or something? Aren’t you tired?” she asked. 

“No sleep until I help you find your power.” I replied.

I grabbed a potted plant-a pretty rose-and dragged it over to our little work area.

“Try to make it grow. I don’t know how, but I bet you can.” I managed a weary smile.

Kristal sighed. “Fine, but only if you get to sleep.”

I watched her hands run up the stem of the rose, slowly making it seem longer to me, and the rose seem fuller and have more petals.

I yawned, and stared at Kristal in disbelief. “Hands off the plant. Did you-“

“Make it grow?” she finished. “Apparently.”

“Wow! You have your power. I’ll alert the others. I am so proud of you, Krissy.” I exclaimed, suddenly full of energy.

“Don’t call me Krissy.” She blushed and smiles smugly.

I opened a psychic connection. Sorry to wake you. Anyone there?

No worries, you didn’t wake me. Stein’s voice echoed. What’s up? Please tell me there hasn’t been an attack.

No attacks. Kristal found her power. It’s the ability to make plants grow.

That’s awesome! Now get some sleep. You’re tired. I can tell.

The line clicked off. “You need to sleep.” Kristal dragged me up the stairs and down the hall, into my room. 

I was tired.

I was just ignoring that fact.

Kristal easily dropped me on the bed and put the blanket on me.

“There. Shut your eyes, ‘cause I’m tired too.” Kristal smirked. “Goodnight.”

“Night.” I replied, and she walked out the door.

I fell asleep, and actually slept peacefully, for the first time in weeks.