Chapter 3: The Mental Stars, The Message, and the Weirdest Part Yet

I see stars for a moment, and I cry out as he slams me into the wall again. The people watching jeer at me, yell things like “Kill her!” and “Make her pay!”

I really hope they're joking.

After the first five slams, I stop crying out. I feel the blood on my temple, streaming down my face and down my neck.

So I come up with a killer (Hey, that’s foreshadowing!) idea.

I act like I’m dead. (I told you it was foreshadowing.) I stiffen up, and mentally lower my temperature.

I shut my eyes and hold my breath, which I can do for a really long time.

And the poor sucker bought it.

He lets go of me, and I collapse.

She comes over and slaps him roughly. 

“You let her go!” 

“She’s dead, Alexa!” 

“How can she be dead if she’s stumbling away?” 

During this, I am trying to run-the best I can with a head injury and a tiny body-to the principal, where I can get my head patched up and get Queen Backstabber in an alternate school.

But she spotted me. 

I start sprinting as Brayden tries to grab me, but I keep flitting away, like a little annoying gnat.

I have only 10 feet, and then I can stop losing blood.

Ten feet.

Nine feet. He’s coming closer.

Eight feet. 

Seven feet. He made a grab for my ankle, but I don’t fall.

Six feet.

Five feet.

Four feet.

Three feet. He tackles me and I hit the ground like a stone. 

He slaps my temple, right on the bleeding cut, and I scream out. But here’s the weird part.

He starts to shudder. I scream again, but something is not the same.

There is a feeling of something new. Something dark. 

I scream louder, harder, and it hurts so bad that I know I won’t have a voice for a week. 

He drops like a stone, and so do all the groupies. But Alexa and a few others still stand.

“Well done, my dear Vissy. You might be one of us.” 

“No. I’ll never be like you.”  I didn't know what she meant.

“No? Okay. Just heal your wounds. The blood ruins your complexion, and all I want is to see you at diMort.”

She snaps. “Go.”