There's A Shewolf In The Office -15

I feel like this book is going so fast! I never want to stop writing it. Hope you all enjoy this chapter x

- Jasmine 

(I wonder if anyone got the song reference that inspired the title of this chapter! First person to comment it here, gets this chapter dedicated to them!)

Chapter 15:

"CASSIDY, WHAT THE-" Candice's eyes were saucer wide and her face was permanently set in what could only be described as sheer, shock.

 With one raised eyebrow short of horror.

Wild and frantic beats against Cassidy's door had announced Candice's unexpected arrival that morning. 

Cassidy tunned the screams of her best friend out. She tried to imitate the impressive pancake flip she had seen on the cooking channel the previous night.

It was the first time she had watched Tv in years. Years.

Surrendering her phone to the other side of the house she tried to loosen her anxiousness at having her self-appointed appendage so far away. She tried to let the mindlessness of the experience melt her into relaxation.

She had fallen asleep that night in that same position. Face peaceful and flickering, cast in the wavering blue light.

Despite the tug of tension in the upper left quadrant of her neck, she hadn't felt so free in years.

Every moment her mind drifted to mundane topics, a flash of panic redirected her to all the emails she needed to answer, all the calls she needed to make, all the work she needed to do.

A mere three days ago she was thankful for that acute sense of focus. She loved how in tune her mind was to her work. How task orientated she could be, constantly.

But now, when the feeling came (and it did often come). She had to force herself to open the bars to the prison her mind had put her in. She forced herself to drift... to wonder. It scared her how often she had to do it, how unnecessarily guilty she felt about daydreaming. Guilty that she had conditioned her mind to chastise her for the simple notion of imagining.

 True freedom would be hard to be coat herself in after years of the corporate life.

---

"Candice do you want pancakes?" Cassidy smiled and set a plate in front of her.

Now both eyebrows were raised. Definitely horror.

"Pancakes! What is your problem?"

Cassidy pressed lips into a thin smile. "I'll get you a fork and knife."

She passed the utensil to Candice, who snatched them out of her hand. Shooting her a cautious glance, she raised the fork and screamed in pain when she pierced it into her forearm.

"Candy! What are you doing?"

"I am ninety-seven percent sure I am dreaming right now, so I'm stabbing myself with this fork just to make sure."

"And the other three percent?"

Candice put the fork down. "The other three percent is because I've seen the security footage over a hundred times and dream Cassidy could never be as psycho as what I saw real Cassidy do."

Without responding Cassidy dug into her own plate of pancakes. She met Candice's shocked, questioning eyes with slow and careful chews.

"Mmm, they're good." She smiled approvingly at her hard work.