The Terror of the Moon -13 part 2

All traces of the joy on Carters face- joy which was shining so brightly on it, only moments ago,left. He stared at the ground in silence while Cassidy tried to control her crying. She was thankful Liam hadn't heard anything, yet.

"How?"

She pulled her hair away from her face. Hair that had stuck to her cheeks, wet with tears.

"What?"

Carter looked at her with heartbreaking sadness. He too had fresh tears in his eyes.

"How?"

Cassidy took a deep breath. She had never said it out loud. She never even told her Aunt the truth. But now she knew she needed to, she owed it to Carter as well as herself. They were connected now. Two souls bonded by immeasurable pain.

"She was killed. By another pack member."

"Why?"

 She could hear the anguish in his voice. The tears were free-flowing again.

 "She was too brave. Too selfless. Her death was my breaking point. I didn't stick around in the pack long after. I...I struggle to talk about it."

She wiped her eyes roughly on her sleeve. Smudges of black stained her clothes and her heart. 

"I know it wasn't my fault but I feel so guilty. I've carried it with me every day."

Carter held the sweater to his chest. And closed his eyes. 

Cassidy felt a pang of possessiveness. That simple piece of fabric was the most precious thing she owned. It was all she had left of her sister and now someone else was touching it. Fingerprinting the fragile memories of her sister.

She knew Carter wanted more answers from her, but he could see that this conversation was making it hard for her to breathe.

"Tell me about her."

She didn't want to.

She didn't want to talk to anyone about Marissa. Her Marissa. The memories of her sister, were hers and hers alone and she didn't want to share them with anyone. Cassidy knew her better and loved her more than anyone else. Their relationship was indescribable. If spoke about her...It was like giving away parts of her sister away. 

She knew she was being selfish. It wasn't fair.

"Marissa was my best friend. We grew up like typical bickering sisters but as we got older we were inseparable...She was obviously the prettier Blanche sister. She loved music. Loved to sing and dance. She loved art. She is the reason I have the career I do. She could paint the most mesmerizing sunrises and landscapes, yet she had never left our pack. Nobody was allowed to..."

Cassidy closed her eyes letting all the moments with her sister flood back. The late night conversations, the gossiping, the tears, the dreams. Unfulfilled dreams.

"We dreamed of travelling around the world together, but she never got the chance."

She allowed herself a long moment of silence before continuing. "She was so kind. Too kind and too quiet. It's what drew people to her. She had the most beautiful soul." It's what killed her. Cassidy thought wryly.

She pictured her sister with Carter. His loud personality alongside her radiance. Her gentleness and quietness to keep him grounded. Marissa's ability to make light of any bad situation. Her exquisite simplicity and his charming perspicacity.

It made perfect sense. In a way that stabbed her heart repetitively.

It would have been an epic love.