Chapter Four

Up in his bedroom, we both rested on the dark green blanket. We faced one another so our knees touched, the feeling sending heat throughout my bones.

     Neither of us said anything for a while. I took comfort in just looking at him. His brown hair had grown since I saw him last, making it wave around his ears and forehead. The glasses were still on his face but I knew he didn't need them. He had told me years ago they were just meant to keep humans from seeing his eyes.

     His eyes. They were so beautiful. I had only seen them up close once before. The image of the golden orbs flecked with white and silver, a dark pupil in the center of it all, filtered through my mind.

     Slowly, I reached up. He didn't move, not even when I traced his jaw, up his cheekbone, and finally on his glasses. Carefully pulling them off, I'm met with the beautiful sight that had kept me awake at night sometimes, wondering how such beauty could possibly exist.

     His hand mirrored my own, tracing up face. The heat from his fingertips lit up my skin, my cheeks feeling hot.

     "You've grown so much."

     I gave him a small smile, "And you haven't changed at all."

     He shook his head, his eyes focused on the floor, "I'm so sorry, Sang. I... I left you. I knew what was happening and I didn't do anything. And now look at you. Murdered by your own mother." I flinched at that but he didn't notice, lost in his own thoughts. "And then, I took your soul. You were delirious, lost in your own agony, but I did it anyway."

     My fingers pressed against his mouth. His eyes shot up, looking at me with confusion.

     I looked at him exasperated, "Kota, don't you dare blame yourself. Even if you had known, what were you going to do? And it's not like I ever told you directly. Any time you asked, I dodged the question. And I made that deal with you. I wanted to be with you. I still do."

     His jaw clenched and he pulled me to him, his arms wrapping around my considerably smaller body. I would never get tired of him holding me.

     He sighed harshly, "You're too good to me Sang. You're an angel and I'm a demon - literally. I doomed you to hell for forever. How could you forgive me for that?"

     "Kota, stop it. There's nothing to forgive you for. You didn't take my life. I gladly gave you my soul. I'd do it again, too."

     A knock on the door sounded before either of us could say any more.

     "Come in," Kota called.

     An amused voice sounded, "Uh, you sure? You're not doing anything I don't wanna see, are you?"

     Kota huffed, a blush staining his cheeks. I could barely believe my eyes when I saw it. Heat may have crawled up my face, too, but I'm an innocent 18-year-old.

     Wait. How old was Kota?

     He pulled the door open. "Shut up, Silas. What do you want?"

     I crawled up to stand behind Kota, glancing at the towering boy. His black hair and olive skin told me he was of some other kind of ethnicity. I normally would have been scared of such an abnormally large man but his face held something that told me he wouldn't hurt me. His eyes pulled me in. They were a dull pink swirling around a black center, the pattern resembling marble.

     Goodness, were all these boys going to have stunning eyes?

     He met my now-black ones before traveling up and down my body. Thick lips curled into a smirk, "Just wanted to meet the new little minx."