TWENTY SIX

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

TWENTY SIX.

❝ you held me tighteven when i wasn't good enough

❝ you held me tight
even when i wasn't good enough. ❞
— I PROMISE YOU ; WANNA ONE.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

My legs shake as I stand on the side of the stage. I wait as the names continue to be read off, each student read off grabbing their diplomas and shaking hands with the administrators. The atmosphere is full of excitement, anticipation, and energy.

Once my name is finally announced over the arena speakers, I proudly walk up the ramp and take the leather folder the superintendent holds out for me. I smile, shaking hands with each person as I make my way back to my seat. I stare at the certificate as it sits in my hands. My name printed across in fine letters, all the signatures, the name of my school—the whole image made me feel more confident than I had ever been. I grin to myself, sitting back down in the folding chair.

The audience goes up and down in volume as the names are read. When Taeyong and Taeil's are announced, I stand up, applauding them as loud as possible. Those sitting around me stare, but I truly don't care in that moment, for I'm so elated for myself and Taeyong and Taeil and everyone in the room. Finally, our lives are beginning. Finally, after years of dwelling and hurting, I can move on. I can restart.

After the ceremony, I find Jinhyuck outside the arena, holding a boquet of roses. He hands them to me before pulling me into a hug. The way he embraces me is different than any other hug we've shared. It tells me all he's thinking. I'm proud of you. I'm so proud of you.

"You look sleepy," Jinhyuck comments. I blink hard as I crack a smile.

"Gets pretty boring in there after a while." Jinhyuck laughs as I lean into his side, both of us walking towards the parking lot. We stop once my name is being called from towards the entrance of the building. Turning around, I see Taeyong running towards me, his cap in hand and mouth smiling wide.

When he reaches me, he wraps his arms around my waist and kisses me. Caught by surprise, I barely kiss back, but manage to place my hands on his shoulders. "Congrats, grad," he says after pulling away.

I grin as he pulls me closer for a hug. Giggling softly, I pet his hair, and he kisses my cheek.

"Can I see you tonight?" Taeyong asks quietly. I carress his cheeks as I look into his eyes. His lips curl up into a small smile as I nod.

"Yeah," I reply before softly giving his lips a peck. "I'll come see you."

Taeyong smiles fully, teeth showing, dimples showing. "I just want to spend as much time with you, before you, you know. Go to New York."