Act II: Toushirou

"Can you explain to me why are you allowing Hiromi to come with us?!" Kurosaki exclaimed, angrily, to Abarai-taichou.

I would normally be against such show of distespect, but I myself was furious at such rush decision. Why was he putting a civilian in danger?! Why did it have to be Hiromi?

"Little brother, did you really think you were the only one who daddy passed his shinigami genes to?" Everyone in the room froze, barely breathing.

Did we hear correctly? The famous substitute shinigami and the cook/advisir that had won everyone heart are siblings?! Why did she never tell me such important fact?... now that I think about it, she had never revealed her last name.

"Wait a second... you are a shinigami as well?!" Kurosaki shouted, as shocked as everyone in the room.

"No, I'm not. Being a shinigami is a job, a job you have to be hired for. I never went to the academy or tried to become a shinigami. I never had any desire to, really. When I... died what I wanted to do is fullfil the dream I couldn't while alive. And I did, I have my own café/restaurant. Which is pretty famous if I may say" Hiromi confessed "But I know how to fight and I have a zanpakto. Dad passed his abilities to us, but it dimmed with each child. That's why while Karin can see ghosts she will never be able to access her abilities as a shinigami and Yuzu can only sense them close or hear them speak"

"Wait... if it dimmed with each child... and you are the oldest... does that mean that you are stronger than Ichigo?!" Ayasegawa-fukotaichou inquired.

"Those are very good analyzing qualities" Ukitake commented "You got a good fukotaichou there, Byakuya"

"I am" Hiromi replied, stunning us once again "I woke up my abilities as a shinigami while I was alive, without the help of any shinigami like you needed. That's how I met Renji really, he was the shinigami in charge of our city. Kami was he shocked when he saw me!"

"Of course I was shocked! The last I expected when I got to the human world was to see a human fighting off hollows!" Abarai exclaimed, a big fond grin on his face.

"What?!" Almost all of us exclaimed, stunned by the surreal situation.

What was goin on?!

"But how were you able to find hollows? You didn't have our sensors to tell you where and when a breach would open" a guy from the fourth division questioned.

"She does not need such a thing" scoffed Abarai-taichou "She herself is the best sensor there is. She is incredibly synchronized with the spiritual energy, in herself and in her surroundings. She could sense an hollow coming from miles away. Which is also why she is the best when it comes to Kido. She can cast Kido from level 90 to below without the need of a spell. She is a genius of Kido!" He bragged.

While the team outside the Gotei was impressed by the n ew piece of information, t he taichous in the room were stunned to silence. But this wasn't the kind of shock we got at the realization she has a zanpaktou. No, this is the kind of silence where everyone is serious- even Kenpachi.

"Even I have trouble using Kido above level 75. Not to mention the fact that it would be close to impossible to do them without casting a spell" Ukatake muttered, not processing what was going on "That girl isn't just good, she is genius level. Even above Hitsugaya's level. She is not even half a century old!"

"She is a monster!" Kenapachi smiled, sinister "At least, we know that they will be safe with her by their side" I looked at the captain surprised that he cared about anyone but his fukotaichou and himself. But then again his ex-fifth seat was there and I had seen him dragging that poor fourth division shinigami around "I feel all pumped up now! I want to fight her!"

"Enough!" Yamamoto-dono exclaimed "This is not time for games! We are under attack of The Zodiacs and we have an unkown fighter out there who has a captain level without any proper training. This whole situation... is a disaster"

"She is no danger to us, Yamamoto-dono. She is a good girl and you heard her, she has no desire to fight but simpky bring smiles to people's faces with her food and sweets" I tried to defend my girlfr... ex-girlfriend "The only reason she is there right now is to help her brother out"

"You seem pretty sure" Yamamoto-dono said, looking at me suspiciously "What is your relationship with that girl?" He demanded to know.

"She... used to be my lover. The break up is still new" I confessed, knowing better than to lie. I ignored the looks of surprise and, specially, the pity ones "I was not aware that she was so strong, then again she rarely talks about her life when she was alive. And if my suspicions are right, her death came by the hand of a hollow. I don't blame her for not wanting to revive those memories"

"As long as you did not withhold such important piece of information I believe it is all right" Yamamoto-dono sighed "Let's just hope they know what they are doing"

"Onee-chan! You are beast! Why are not a taichou by now?!" Kurosaki exclaimed, beaming with pride.

His exclamation had me turning my attention back to the screen The Zodiacs had given us. Quite a strange expression to see the usual scowling boy with so much childish happiness. Then again he did lose both mother and sister very young, from what I've heard.

"I have been telling her that for years now" huffed Abarai-taichou, scowling at Hiromi.

"Because I don't like the way they manage their work. They are curropted, I prefer being a vigilante really" replied Hiromi, making me chuckle- that's very Hiromi like.

"I do remember that" chuckled Abarai-taichou "The men killer, quite a legend really"

Another moment of silence passed in the room, before the gelid voice of the Captain-Commander resonated through the walls: "Are you telling me that The men killer has been hiding under our noses the whole time and no one knew it!"

Oh boy, these next few days will be long. I thought tiredly as I watched Yamamoto-dono rage. At least, my worries about Hiromi's safety had calmed down. I just wonder why had she never told me anything of this.