Act I: Byakuya

"Oni-sama, please talk to me" my sweet Rukia pleaded as soon as I returned to the Kuchiki mansion, ambushing me before I could lock myself in my office.

That's what I have been doing these last couple of days, doing my work as a captain, yelling and working my division until they bled, then locking myself in my office to work myself until exhaustion. Because if I didn't do that I would cry myself to sleep, and as the Kuchiki head of my family I could not cry... for no one. Not even when everything I touch ends up breaking: Hisana, Renji... and soon surely Rukia. That's why I tried my best to get away from her, so that she won't end up suffering as her best friend did.

"What's wrong Oni-sama? This is not like you at all... Is this about Renji turning into a captain?" I unwittingly flinched, it was only for a second and just because she caught me off guard. However, for someone who knew me so much as Rukia and... Renji, they would have noticed it immediately "So it has to do with Renji... did he finally confess to you?" my head snapped towards her "You really thought that no one knew about that?" she slightly smirked, surely happy to see that she caught on something before her big brother "It's not as if everyone knows... but people caught on his yearning gazes towards you, and his unflinching loyalty to you. It was a surprise to all of us who knew about his feelings when he accepted to go through the captain test, we all know how much he loves working for you... especially since he can be close to you. But this isn't about him confessing, is it?" she asked sadly.

"He gave up on me... as everyone does" I confessed softly. I normally would have snapped and demanded to be left alone, but being left by the one I always thought would never leave me... was the last drop I needed to admit I need to talk to someone. And that someone being someone I trust, like Rukia "What should I do now?".

"Do you love him?" she asked, a question that didn't popped into my head. Not even after two fully days asking myself everything but anything at the same time.

Do I love Renji? I thought of all those times he stood by me, trusting me blindly no matter what I did. Always believing that I had a good reason behind my actions. Always striving to be better, to gain my approval... one that I never gave him. How just by his presence I felt myself relax and know that everything will be fine... because we are the best team and we never lose. How whenever we fight side by side I don't even think about checking my blind spots constantly, for I know he always has my back. How he knows me so well that he always knows when something is wrong.

However, that doesn't mean I love him. All that would make me appreciate him as a lieutenant... as a brother. But not as a lover, not as I loved Hisana. Suddenly I thought about what made me love Hisana in the first place, she loved me not Byakuya Kuchiki. But even then I never was able to be truly free with her, cause she needed me strong with how ill she was. Also, we didn't have enough time together for that. But with Renji I did... he didn't need me to be strong, he just needed me. He admires me. He trusts me. He follows me. Not the head of the Kuchiki family, nor the captain of the sixth division. He loves me.

No... he loved me.

And that hurt more than I ever thought possibly, because... I love him.

"Oni-sama" Rukia sighed sadly, getting closer to whip softly the solitary tear that I didn't know I had shed with her thumb "So that's my answer" she said softly "As for yours... tell him how you feel. He was brave enough to confess and to stay by your side all this time. I believe that he deserves for you to tell him the truth and for you to fight with the Kuchiki elders for him".

"He will not take me back" I stated grimly.

"Then you are a fool Oni-sama" I was shocked by her disrespect, she never talked to me like this "Renji loved you for so much time, even though he gave up on you that doesn't mean he suddenly doesn't love you anymore. It takes time for that to happen, sometimes it never happens. Just show him that you are serious and that you are willing to change for him, he will understand and accept you. It might take time... but he did wait for a long while. It is your time now".

"You have grown into such a wise woman" I told her.

Our conversation was cut short when I received a Hell Butterfly, informing me that I was urgently needed in the office of the general commander. Knowing that the rest of the conversation needed to wait, I bid Rukia goodbye and flash stepped towards there. I wasn't even surprise when every other captain of the Gotei 13 was there, all but Renji. I discreetly looked around the room, thinking that I might have not seen him the first time. But it was no use, I couldn't even feel his riatsu in the building.

"Don't wait for Abarai-taichou he is in a mission right now" Genryūsai-taichou told us.

"So, why the hell are we here?! Let's better cut this short, I have more important things to do right now" we all rolled our eyes at the usual disrespect of Zaraki-taichou. However, I could note that this time it wasn't in his usual I-care-for-nothing tone, but he was quite... nervous? Worried? What could have gotten him like that?

"We are here because Kuchiki-taichou had important news for us" Genryūsai-taichou answered not even caring about Zaraki-taichou by now.

"What? I was called here by you Genryūsai-taichou" by my reply everyone got defensive "Who called us all here?" I asked the question everyone was thinking.

Suddenly every window and door in the room got closed, sealing us inside. We all got our zanpaktous out and were ready for an attack. However, the only thing that came was huge ball of light in middle of the room. It was blinding at first, but then when you looked at it more closely you could see the image of someone inside. So I looked more carefully, blood running cold when I recognize who they were... The Zodiacs!