Part 37

Lucy's POV:

Everyone in the room, including me, turns around to face Harry, and when I do, I find him already looking at me. As soon as his eyes meet mine, every trace of worry and doubt is completely wiped from my mind, and he is the only thing that exists.

I can barely hear everyone's words of relief: Harry and I are in our own world right now. Soon, everyone falls silent once they realize Harry and I are just staring at each other wordlessly. 

"We'll give you two some time alone," Liam says, slowly leading everyone out the door. As soon as the door shuts, I cover my face in my hands a burst into tears. I'm not even entirely sure the reason for my sudden breakdown, but it definitely has to do with the relief that Harry is okay, but mostly the fact that it was basically all my fault that he got shot in the first place. 

"Luce, what? Why are you crying?" Harry says in a hoarse voice, trying to sit up straighter but wincing as he does so. 

"Don't move," I warn him through my sobs. Harry's expression is pained and I think it has more to do with me than the bullet they just removed from his chest. This just makes me cry harder, so I sit in the chair next to his bed, unable to stay on my feet any longer.

"Baby, tell me why you're crying," Harry pleads, encasing both of my hands in one of his and removing them from my face. I look at him again, and I instantly melt. 

"It's my fault," I blurt, the tears suddenly ceasing to form. Harry opens his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. 

"No, don't even try. You know if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have had to take that bullet and almost die. You know it, so don't try to deny it. If you had died..." I burst into tears again, not being able to stand the thought of Harry dying. I don't know what I would've done if that had happened.

"But I didn't, I'm here," Harry coos, squeezing my hand. "I'm alive, and I love you more than my heart can hold. I just want you, forever. I still want to marry you, you know. I hope you-"

I shut him up by pressing my lips firmly to his. Harry responds immediately, cupping my face in his hands and deepening the kiss. I was so worried that he wouldn't want to marry me, that it was just a 'spur of the moment' type of thing, but it wasn't. Harry Styles wants to marry me. 

"I hope you know that you're everything I've ever wanted," I whisper once we pull away. Harry's face can barely contain his smile, and I'm sure mine looks the same. 

"Fiancé," Harry mumbles, nudging his nose with mine. "I need to get you a ring."

"I honestly would marry you with a flower crown," I tell him, giggling. Harry chuckles and kisses me once more. 

"I want to do this properly. You mean so much to me, and I'm afraid that the only day you'll ever realize that is the day you walk down the aisle."

"I love you," I say, and it's the truest thing I've ever said. 

"I love you. Always."

-

(16 Days Later: January 13)

"El, stop fussing!" I exasperatedly tell my maid of honor as I sit on the couch with a bowl of yogurt in my hand. Ever since Harry and I announced our engagement, Eleanor has not stopped flipping through wedding catalogues trying to find the perfect match for us.

"But nothing seems right!" Eleanor sighs in frustration, tossing the catalogue to the side and collapsing on the couch next to me. 

"It doesn't have to be anything fancy. As long as Harry's there, I don't care where it is or how it looks because honestly, I won't be looking at anything but him," I say, smiling as I always do while thinking of Harry.