Part 14

Lucy's POV:

I can't stop the sharp intake of breath that escapes me as I read the text.

My dad. My dad texted me. The only time my dad has ever texted me was to inform me that he was moving to LA and he would eventually find me. He hadn't though, since he had no idea where to find me. But now he does.

My dad is coming to get me. Has he changed? I have no idea. But I don't want to find out either. I never want to see him again. If I said I weren't terrified of him, I'd be lying. I'm so scared of him it hurts just to think about it. The way he hurt me, breaking my bones and my heart, was almost too much for me to handle. I couldn't risk being near him again, I can't risk him finding me. 

A voice breaks me out of my trance, and I get the feeling this isn't the first time they've tried to get me to snap out of it. 

"Lucy? Lucy? Are you okay? Lucy?" Harry's raspy voice says loudly. His huge hand is waving in front of my face as I stare blankly out the window. 

"Wh-what?" I stutter, finally coming to my senses. 

"Geez Luce, you look terrified. Are you alright?" Harry asks, his brow furrowed in concern. I notice that we are stopped in front of the tour bus and it's just me and Harry in the car.

Should I tell Harry what just happened? I don't want him to be worried, but I can't just ignore this. Of course I'll tell Harry, I tell him everything.

"No, I-I," I falter with my words, they stumble out of my mouth so quickly. I take a deep breath and try again.

"It's-it's my dad. He s-saw me on the, um, news." My voice is so quiet, but I can tell Harry heard me because his eyes widen in shock. "He texted me. He said he's coming to get me," I blurt out, startling both myself and Harry.

Harry's eyes darken and his mouth is set into a hard line with his jaw clenched. 

"The hell he is," Harry spits through gritted teeth. "I'm not letting that bastard anywhere near you." His voice is shaking slightly from trying to control his anger. 

My body relaxes somewhat at his words. Knowing that Harry is willing to protect me, like always, comforts me. I'm still terrified though. My father is very cunning, always has been. If he really wants to, he can find me. 

I look down at my hands and see that they are shaking. My breathing is shaky as I try to conceal how scared I really am. 

"Lucy, look at me." Harry's voice is much quieter and much more relaxed now.

I do as he says, and I lift my head up. He takes both of my small hands in his large ones and looks me directly in the eye. His piercing green eyes bore into my brown ones as he says the next six words. 

"I won't let him hurt you." 

Something inside me clicks. Harry. He's always been there to protect me. The only time I was hurt was when Harry wasn't around. I have this strange sense of security when I'm with him. I feel like nothing bad could happen to me, and although I know it's false hope, I feel as if Harry could protect me from anything. Even my father. 

Harry and I have something that nobody will ever be able to understand, not even ourselves. When something is bothering me, Harry is the first to notice. No matter how hard I try to hide my emotions, he always sees right through my façade. I can't hide anything from him because he knows me too well.

This works in the other direction as well. Harry always tries to appear tough, but I've memorized how he acts when he's feeling a certain way. For example, when he's sad or bothered he just goes on his phone and stays quiet. When he's angry and is trying to hide it, his jaw clenches and he runs a hand through his hair. I know every little quirk about him and I just couldn't bear to live without him. And as cliché as that sounds, it's true.