"Nothing," laughed Remus.

"Don't lie to me. Something happened." She turned back to look at her precious sleeping baby. "Is Teddy okay?"

"Of course," said Remus, still faking serenity. "Why wouldn't he be?"

"Stop playing games with me!" snapped Tonks, her hair turning an unnatural shade of flame red. "Are you having an affair?"

"Merlin, no!" Remus had two choices: he could keep acting and provoke an argument, or he could tell her about Severus' potion and provoke an argument of a different kind. He picked up Lin's letter and offered it to Tonks. "Read this, Dora."

As Tonks read through the letter, her skin grew pale and her hair turned a frosty shade of blue. "I don't understand."

"Did you read the letter?"

"You saw me read it."

"It's all settled then."

"Nothing is settled, Remus. I'm not even sure what this means."

"Severus' anti-lycanthropy potion is finished." Tonks' skin paled even more, and her hair turned white. Remus took out his wand and conjured a chair, which he steered her into. Now that the secret was out, Remus let his excitement show. He chatted to Tonks until she was able to find her voice again. "I never thought it would happen. But if there were anyone alive today who was talented enough to produce a cure for lycanthropy, it's Severus." Remus took Tonks' hands in his. "This could help so many people, Dora. It'll change our lives."

"It might take yours."

"Severus said the survival rate is eighty percent."

"And the not-surviving rate is twenty percent."

"There's nothing to worry about," argued Remus.

"Really, what about the twenty percent chance of dying? And unknown side effects? And permanent disability?"

"The odds in my favor are excellent."

"But not perfect, Remus."

"Nothing in life is perfect, Dora, but this is a chance—a real chance to be normal."

"You are normal."

Remus' excitement was rapidly changing to agitation. "You know what I mean. I shouldn't have to explain it." He released Tonks' hands and began to pace. "I talked to Severus, and I've made up my mind. Everything's settled."

"We have to discuss this."

"Discuss what?"

"This!" shouted Tonks as she waved the letter in her hand.

"Severus can't refine the potion any further. He needs a test subject, and I'm the obvious choice."

"Why are you suddenly so willing to put your faith in him?"

"Because he's bloody brilliant," replied Remus testily.

"He's also a vindictive prat," said Tonks.

"I don't care about his personality, Dora. He's a gifted Potions master. Even as a schoolboy, he was years ahead of the rest of us."

"He hates you, Remus."

"I know, but he won't let that interfere with his sense of professionalism."

Tonks snorted. "Oh yes, well that's good to know." She immediately regretted her sarcasm. Remus bristled and launched into a tirade.

"You have no idea what it's like to be a monster."

"You're not a monster, Remus."

"I spend every waking hour fighting this curse. The older I get, the harder it is to resist. I wake up in the middle of the night just to check that you're alive. I worry constantly about what I might do to Teddy."