Fifty Three

Adeline's P.O.V

Fangs was arrested and Sweet Pea was frustrated. I would be too if my best friend was arrested for something he didn't commit.

Right now, I was in my room in a corner. I felt paranoid. If dad was next, where could the Black Hood strike next?

"Adeline?" I looked over to see dad walking in.

"Hi dad," I said.

"What are you doing on the floor?" He asked me as he helped me up.

"I'm paranoid honestly. I can't sleep. I'm barely eating," I tell him.

"It's okay. You need to get some sleep and eat. Just treat it like it's a regular day," Dad said.

"I can't," I told him.

"Why not?"

"Every single thing that's going on, I'm stressed and upset. I feel like crying every single day because of what's going on," I told him.

"Adeline, there's no need for that. You're going to be okay. I'm going to be okay. You have me, your brother, and your boyfriend to protect you," Dad told me.

"Sometimes I feel like that's not enough. What happens if something happened to all three of you?" I asked him.

"Nothing will happen, Adeline. I promise," Dad told me. I nodded before hugging him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight was the debate. I stood backstage with Archie on our dad's side.

"I'm glad you're on this side instead of the other side," I told Archie.

"Why so?" Archie asked me.

"It reminds me that you still have a soft spot for family," I told him.

"Welcome, one and all, to tonight's Mayoral Debate. umping right in. Fear and unrest rule the streets. Hermione Lodge, how would you restore safety to the town?" Mrs. Cooper said.

"Well, we're already making strides, Alice. My husband and I personally recruited Sheriff Minetta from Centerville after Tom Keller resigned. Not one week on the job, and he's apprehended Midge Klump's murderer," Mrs. Lodge said, making everyone clap.

"Fred? Rebuttal?"

"We don't know if he's the killer," Dad said causing people to boo," All I'm saying is let's not call for blood until we've had a trial. What does that say about us, about Riverdale?"

"You talk about not calling for blood, Fred? Are you aware of a group called the Dark Circle?" I looked over at Archie who I knew had part of that group.

"No, I'm not."

"Then let me enlighten you. The Dark Circle is a dangerous, radical group that traffics in terror, violence and street-warfare. It's a group... started by your son, Archie. Now I ask you, Citizens of Riverdale... How can we trust a man to run a town when he can't even keep his own house in order?" I looked up at the lights after noticing someone at the top of it.

"Oh, my God! It's the Black Hood!" I pointed. Archie ran over to push dad down.

"Adeline! Get down!" Archie said. I got on the floor before looking over at dad and Archie.

"Dad. I'm scared," I said.

"Archie, protect your sister," Dad told him.

"What about you?"

"I'll be fine. Go!" Archie quickly ran to me before covering me.

The Black Hood escaped letting us head straight to the police station. I stood in between dad and Archie.

"I guess Sheriff Keller's not looking so bad right about now, huh?" Dad asked. Sheriff Minetta let out a sigh.

"There's a trapdoor leading from the balcony to the roof that's not on any building plans. But I've got cars all over downtown. He's not gonna get far, we'll catch him tonight," Sheriff Minetta said.

"Sheriff, if I may? Archie's come face-to-face with the Black Hood before, looked him in the eyes. Maybe he could help identify him," Mr. Lodge said.

"You up for a ride-along?" Sheriff Minetta asked Archie.

"Actually, I'm gonna head home, stay with my dad and sister. Make sure he's safe there," Archie said.

"All right, then," Mr. Lodge said.