Forty Four

Adeline's P.O.V

We were having a family dinner which we haven't had in a long time. I sat next to mom as we ate.

"I was hoping to see Jughead while I was in town," Mom told us.

"He's still at Southside High, Mom, chained up like a lunatic," Archie told me.

"At least he's fighting for what he believes in," I said.

"Adeline, stop. Arch, you might not believe in what he's fighting for..." Dad said.

"I'm not sure he's fighting for anything, Dad," Archie told him. He then let out a small sigh," I think he's mostly fighting against Mr. Lodge. Like a lot of people in this town who are afraid."

"Archie!" Mom warned.

"Afraid? Afraid of what?" Dad asked Archie.

"Afraid of having a vision, of seeing what has to done and doing it," Archie said. Mom dropped her utensil making me stop eating. I glanced over to see mom ready to yell at Archie.

"I hope that you're not referring to your father, Archie. This man who broke rocks when he was in high school, to support his family when his dad was sick. A man who saw what had to be done and did it. And built a business out of nothing. One that pays for this house and the food you eat every day. And for your information, your father had and has a vision for Riverdale. One that doesn't, thank God, end up with everyone working in a penal colony. Now, you don't have to side with your dad, okay? You can side with Hiram Lodge, even though he's a crook, and has no intention of letting your father out of that contract, by the way. You can do that. That is your right. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit here and listen to you disrespect him!" Mom said before walking out.

"Good job, Archie," I said before getting up to check up on mom.

"Mom, are you alright?" I asked.

"Why is Archie acting like this?" Mom asked me.

"I don't know mom but I agree that those Lodges are evil and they have to be dealt with," I told her.

"Without the right evidence, there's not much you can do," Mom told me. I nodded before leaning against the wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I was with Betty in the crowd hoping for Southside High to be saved. I saw Archie walk over with a bolt cutter making me frown. I watched as he cut the chains off of Jughead. They released the Serpents making everyone boo.

Sweet Pea walked over to me. I followed him away from the crowd. I walked with him over to his bike which was parked nearby.

"Your brother's a dead man walking," Sweet Pea told me.

"I know."

"I'm going to go back home. Whenever's a good time for me to meet your mom, let me know and I'll be there," Sweet Pea told me.

"I will," I nodded.

At home, I was eating breakfast with mom and dad. It felt like a celebration breakfast from the phone call dad had received as soon as I got home.

"What's going on?" Archie asked as he walked in.

"Your pal Hiram Lodge called. He's letting your dad out of his contract," Mom told him.

"Well, I never doubted your mom for a second. I knew she'd do it," Dad said.

"Wow. That's... That's great. Yeah, and another thing, son, your mother and I have been talking, and..."

"I'm gonna stick around for a while, help your dad with some more unfinished business. That contract was the last thing holding him back," Mom told Archie.

"From what?"

"I'm gonna run for Mayor. Against the Lodges, come what may," Dad said making me smile over at Archie.

"Isn't that great, Archie? Dad's running for mayor," I told him. Archie looked at me as I had a smug smile on my face still.