Forty One

Adeline's P.O.V

"Hey, Adeline," I turned around to see Veronica walking over to me.

"What's up?" I asked her.

"I just want you to know that I'm running for student body president like you and I want to make sure that no matter what happens, we're still going to be friends," Veronica said.

"Of course. This is a friendly competition after all," I tell her.

"May the best girl win," Veronica smiled before leaving.

"I intend to," I said once she was out of earshot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard a knock on the door making me walk over. Archie walked over to it as well.

"Expecting someone?" Archie asked me.

"No. Are you?" I asked him. He shook his head before opening the door.

"Mom?" Archie said in surprise. I looked over and smiled.

"Mom!" I said.

"Archie! Adeline! Hi, how are you two," Mom said as she hugged us each.

"We had no idea that you were coming," I told her.

"I've missed you two," Mom told us before walking inside.

"All this contract stuff with the Lodges. Time to call in the big guns," Dad told us. I smiled before following them to the kitchen. I sat there as I ate my breakfast.

"Now..." Mom let out a sigh as she looked through the papers," I wish you'd called me in earlier, Fred, before you gave the Lodges twenty percent of Anderson Construction."

"Mr. Lodge said he'll work this out. He'll keep his word," Archie said. I rolled my eyes as dad scoffed.

"Yeah. Son... Your mother and I have known the Lodges a lot longer than you have," Dad told Archie.

"Meaning what, Dad?" Archie asked him. I looked at him in shock.

"Archie!" Mom said in shock as well. How could he talk to dad like that?

"It's okay. I better get to school anyway. I'm helping Veronica with her campaign. Are we still on for lunch, Mom?" Archie asked her. Mom gave him a nod before he nodded back. Archie left for school making me frown.

"Adeline, aren't you going for your student body president?" Mom asked.

"Yeah. I'm handing out cookies today," I tell her.

"Well good luck honey. You know, I want to meet your boyfriend before I leave. Invite him over sometime," Mom told me.

"I will."

"Have fun at school and good luck!" Mom said.

"Thanks mom. See you for lunch," I tell her before leaving for school.