Chapter 18 First Day

You've got this. Be kind but firm, gentle yet clear, and patient. Remember, you're the boss, Maria coached herself.

After a deep breath, she stepped into a bright classroom with refreshing air-conditioning. Two Thai women in yellow polo shirts stood among over a dozen kids sitting cross-legged on the tiled floor. It was too bad the class sizes would increase once camp was over. With her hands on her hips, Kru Jan lectured the students in a firm voice. The children repeated after their Thai teacher and remained focused on her.

Maria passed cubbies packed with backpacks half the size of these tiny kids, water bottles, and extra clothes. Along the outer wall, playhouses and baskets of toys distracted the daydreamer children. This class was equally if not more stocked than her childhood school.

"Please rise." When Kru Jan spoke in English, the children all stood. She motioned for Maria to come to the front. "Good morning, Miss Maria,"

"Good mo-ning, Miss Ma-lia" they repeated, each enunciated syllable melting Maria's heart. They put their hands together at their chests to wai to her. She could get used to their cuteness every day.

After returning the wai, she made eye contact with as many students as possible. "Good morning, class. How are you today?"

"I am fine, thank you. How are you?" the class chanted.

"I am wonderful, thank you." A grin spread across her face.

While most students gazed at her with wide eyes, a few fidgeted or studied the laminated alphabet posters on the wall. Maria ran her hands over her blouse and skirt to assure herself they were still there. What had she forgotten? The young Thai teacher showed a cute chair painted like a jaguar. Right!

"Sorry, please sit," Maria said.

The students followed her instructions and looked up attentively. How were the kids so well behaved? When she'd babysat two children this age, they'd bounced off the walls.

"I'm Miss Maria from Canada, and I will be your camp teacher. Are you excited?"

They answered with vacant stares. Her palms sweated. Maybe she was talking too fast. Sunshine had recommended using music and repetition, so she'd start there.

"Let's sing a hello song," she spoke slowly and clearly.

"Song!" half a dozen children repeated, and others clapped.

Phew, they didn't hate her yet. "I'm," Maria pointed to herself, "going to teach you," she pointed to the students, "a new hello song."

"I like songs!" A little boy in a green turtle shirt said and puffed out his chest.

Maria's chest warmed as she sang, "Hello, hello." When she gestured to the class, the students echoed her words. "How are you?" Their volume increased as they grew more enthusiastic. "I'm good. I'm great." One girl rocked back and forth on the floor. "How about you?"

Maria had them stand to add actions like waves and thumbs up. When they took turns echoing Maria, a girl in a ballerina t-shirt dress stayed seated. As Maria sang, she knelt next to the girl.

"Hello, what is your name?" Maria asked over the children screaming the song lyrics as if their volume defined the quality of their singing.

The girl stared at the floor and answered, "Ploy."

"Hi Ploy, how are you?" The girl shook her head, and her shoulders slumped further.

How could Maria engage her as the other munchkins? When she'd taught Sunday school, she'd give the ones who loved to interrupt the class tasks they took pride in, no matter how small. "Would you like to help me?" Maria asked.