"That's why we planned it as if we're facing Ill Ilah again," he said. "It'll be fine. I promise you that."

Lucy widened her eyes and smiled, her cheeks flushed a rosy hue as her eyes softened with warmth as they shone with deep affection, just like how Kouen looked back at her with. She held his hand back and he pulled her close in one rough yet swift motion. His cape swung around his arm and over her as she leaned against his chest.

"I'll protect you, Lucy. No matter what because I don't plan on letting you go any time soon," he held her by her shoulder.

"Then I'll protect you back as well, Kouen," she chuckled.

He raised his eyebrows and gave a sneer. "You don't plan on giving me a chance to look cool?"

"You're cool enough," she smiled.

Kouen widened his eyes, surprised at her sudden attack. He looked the other way, trying to keep his calm. Though his outward appearance remained stoic, his reddened ears easily gave away his true emotions and Lucy chuckled; his habit hadn't changed at all since during their childhood days. She rested her head against his chest and relaxed, the atmosphere serene and quiet.

"Kouen," she said with a purpose. "I'm going to protect everyone with all I got. I'm going to fight for everyone, for my friends."

He stared at her and smiled, resting his head against hers.

"Then I'll see to make sure it comes true," he said. "Because I intend to fight for not only my sake but for everyone else's as well. Be it Koumei, Kouha, Kougyoku, Hakuei, Hakuryuu, or even that idiot Sinbad, I'll fight for them. If it means that I can look at the view of tomorrow with you, then I'll do it."

Lucy smiled. "You really are unfair."

Kouen looked down at her.

"Saying such words," she glanced up at him with endearment, her expression full of loving adoration. "It's unfair."

He grinned. "I don't think you're in the position to say that after not giving me answer for a whole seventeen years."

She laughed. "Apologies."

Kouen held her tightly in his arms and nestled against her head, a soft smile perched upon his lips as his eyes glowed with fondness and infatuation. Each day, his feelings for her continued to grow to the point where his entire being yearned for her to be by his side. He clutched her shoulder as his lips tightened to form a line, his eyes determined to ask her the words that he had always wished to ask her.

"Lucy, after this war, become my Empress," he said.

She widened her eyes and looked up at him.

"I know you haven't given me an answer yet but I want you to think about it," he said. "I'm sincere about it and I'm sure that the others are also aware of what I wish to do."

But, what crossed Lucy's mind wasn't the fact that he was asking her this before she even gave him a proper answer but rather, the fact that he was asking her to become officially his. Back at the Imperial Palace when they were young, Lucy always envied how much the previous Emperor loved Kouen's mother to the point where he wished to make her Empress - though that plan was thwarted due to Gyokuen. Now, hearing it from him, she realized why the bracelet situated on her wrist looked so familiar; it was the Phoenix Bangle that his mother had always worn. Her eyes widened as her emotions overwhelmed her. Her lips trembled as she slowly curled them up into a smile, her eyes shining with happiness as Kouen held her even tighter.

"Kouen," she held his hand.

Kouen widened his eyes and just from that one word and that one gesture alone, he knew that she was willing to become his once she found her answer. He lowered his head and held her in his arms. He had on his usual stoic, calm face but his eyes gave away all his emotions. How affectionate they were as he gazed at the only woman he loved with fondness and a warmth that he never showed anyone, not even his own mother.