Chapter 16 - broken.

||Mackenzie||

February 2nd, 2024

I am broken.

I don't have anyone to talk about it to; I'm afraid the girls are tired of putting up with me and my endless drama.

So I did what any singer does. I wrote my thoughts down.

I like that you're broken, broken like me.

Maybe that makes me a fool.

I like that you're lonely, lonely like me.

I could be lonely with you.

A knock on the door interrupted me.

"Kenz?" It's Maddie. We have gotten closer in the past month or two. She knows about the Johnny situation.

"Come in," I tell her.

"Hey, I was wondering how you and Johnny have been doing." She is a great sister since she's been back in my life.

"We're okay at the moment; I'm not really sure how his love life is though," I tell her honestly.

"Kenz, come on, you know that he loves you and only you. He wouldn't date another girl, and you know that." Maddie attempts to encourage me.

That was where she and I were both wrong.

Suddenly my door bursts open and Johnny is there with a pleading look on his face.

"Kenzzzz, I need you to do me a favor," He begs.

"Well, what is the favor?" It better not be stupid or some shit.

"I need you to help me ask out a girl," He tells me.

With that sentence, I was even more broken. We were back to being best friends, so we're supposed to be happy for each other and support each other.

"Who is it?" I asked with a small fake smile, but of course, he doesn't see that it's fake.

"Emily Skinner." He tells me with excitement laced into his tone.

Emily Skinner? One of my best friends? How did they even meet? Did Emily know that this was the Johnny that broke me?

"Oh." I couldn't help but feel a little bit hurt. But as the good friend, I always am. I support him.

We have been getting back to the way things were before Nadia and high school. Except, I still like him in that way.

"When?" I ask him, with the tiniest bit of sadness laced in my voice.

"Sunday night. So, like in two days." He tells me hopeful that I would help him.

"Ok, so what did you have in mind?" I ask him, while Maddie gives me a 'what in the actual fuck are you fucking doing' look.

So I give her an 'I'm supporting my best friend, duh, what do you think I'm doing look' we're sisters, telepathy exists.

"Uh, actually I was hoping y'all could help me with that." He says as I roll my eyes. The boy wants to ask out my best friend, and he doesn't even know how or what to do.

"Well, it might be very cliché, but I was thinking, a picnic at the beach watching the sunset, and then you ask her out, maybe go swimming after you do." I think of my perfect date, that perfect moment when he asks me out, what we do after.

"Damn, you're so smart Kenz, Maddieeee you were no help," he compliments and complains.

"Hey, you were asking her in the first place, don't blame me," Maddie says, with that, he starts laughing.