Chapter 5(remake)

Laurance POV

The guard station is smaller than most, but I guess that's supposed to be expected from a small village like Phoenix Drop. Even if it is small, it still has a pretty decent training area and living quarters upstairs and a pretty sturdy jail area downstairs. Dale was kind enough to give me the tour yesterday, and I'm just going over the place again before they test me.

"Aphmau must trust you a lot, huh? I mean to become her guard at such short notice?" Garroth wanders over to where I am, leaning against the wall while giving a stoic look. Since I've been here all I have gotten from Garroth was statements that sound like the mean nothing, but have a deeper meaning than it means. Does that even make sense? In other words, he's been a pain in the ass about Aphmau and I's relationship.

"Well if she trusted me a lot she would've just made me her guard instead of making me take this test, right." I asks him back, just with as much stoicness he gave me. He glares at me and I smirk, knowing I got him good. "Why don't you put more trust into Lady Aphmau." It wasn't a question when I said it, more of a statement.

"I do." He says, his fist tighten slightly before loosening. He lets his emotions get the best of him. Weakness noted.

"Then stop questioning her. And stop questioning me." I say, finally letting some of my frustrations get out. It's been annoying for the two days I've been here. All I've heard from him are his opinions on my unworthy trust from Aphmau.

"You two stop bickering and get in the ring." Dale says, motioning is over to sparing area. He hands both of us a wooden sword. "Basic sparing, whoever disarms the person first wins."

"You'll lose, I promise you." Garroth says getting in a defensive stance. I get in a stance to, somewhat mocking him while also being serious about it.

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Garroth." I smirk back. He growls looking at Dale. He signals begin.

Garroth wasted notice to pounce on me, clashing his sword against mine. I push back, using enough force to knock him off me without knocking myself off balance. His strong, and he knows how to use sword almost perfectly. His grasp on the handle is expertly placed to the point where it would almost be impossible to even nudge it out of place.

"Smart bastard." I mumble under my breathe. Ducking under his slash, I roll to the other side before putting my sword in front of me, both hands on the handle to push against his sword. We both stare at each other, trying to push the swords at each other.

"Why won't you give up." He grunts when I slide my sword from his under his, blocking him off balance. Using this chance, I quickly stand up to put my sword at the back of his neck. He freezes, cursing under his breath because he knows I won.

"A good guard never gives up." I say, grabbing his sword from his hand (with more force than needed) before putting my sword back at my side. "You broke your promise." He growls.

"Nice job, Laurance. I would almost say an easy win. Garroth I expected you to be harder on him." Dale says, a little disappointed in his voice. "Any how there's more testing to be done. You still have hand-to-hand combat and archery to be tested on."

"Give me your best."

Time skip

Hand-to-hand was harder than sparing. Brian is better with his fist then you would think. He socked me a few good times, which is why I'm sitting here with Aphmau with a ice pack to me left eye.

"So Brian managed to hit you hard enough to the point where you get a black eye." Aphmau says, checking my eyes again. "Wow, I never knew he had that much in him." Aph sounded so surprised it made me laugh.