chapter seven- if walls could talk 🤫

Four more months slowly passed by each day slower than the previous.

Each day dragged on, and not a single day did they not think about each other.

Sophie and Luke had unresolved feelings for each other but neither of them were willing to put the other trough the necessary pain of fixing it, it seemed to both of them that it would be a step backward.

Sophie even tried to avoid Ashton out of respect to Luke, but he had caught on and decided to invite himself over to Sophie's this afternoon, and even though Sophie had known he was coming she was still shocked by the knock on her door.

"Hey Ash, sorry I've just been busy, so we haven't been able to hang out recently! How have you been?"

She put on a fake peppy tone and lied straight through her teeth after opening the door and seeing Ashton standing there.

"Well Soph, for starters, I've been good. You know you don't have to avoid me because of what happened with Luke right? We can still be friends."

Ashton sounded tired, and he looked the part too.

"I'm not avoiding you in specific I'm avoiding everyone."

It was the truth. She had barley been out of the house since Ashton's dinner party.

"I'll tell you this again, for the second time, and it's the same thing I've been telling Luke every day: you can't just wait for something magical to come along and fix you both. News flash, it hasn't happened yet, and it's not going too. I know this is super harsh, but you both need a reality check. You know I'll always love you Sophie, and I'll always love Luke, but you're both being so immature and selfish. If not for you, do it for him. He's thinking about quitting the band, he said there's no point any longer. Please, can you two just talk, not anything else because god knows that didn't help last time, and figure something out. You know I wouldn't dare let you down, so don't let that class go to waste, go figure something out with him please." Ashton was basically on his knees begging with her trying to reason for the sake of both of them, he knew nothing would be resolved without them talking, and something in Sophie knew it too.

"Okay Ash, so you're driving me over there?" Sophie knew when she heard Luke was thinking of quitting the band she had to do something. Ashton was right as always.

She shoved on her sneakers and headed out the door, a shocked Ashton following right behind.

He definitely hadn't expected her to come right away.

Sophie had enough confidence to get to the door and wave Ashton away, but now she had been pacing around outside Luke's door trying to brace her self for knocking

She had been there for at least 30 minutes and was convinced if she had her own car there she would have gone home by now.

A few moments later Luke noticed someone outside his door, to say he was confused was an understatement, but when he opened the door to see her, he was even more confused.

"Sophie? What are you doing here, are you okay?" his voice filled with concern as he looked down at the girl, her eye bags were a telltale sign that sleep wasn't something she was doing often enough.

Her hair was slightly messy from running her hands through it, and her face was pale since Luke had frightened her already nervous self.

"Uh hey, sorry for coming unannounced but we need to talk. Can I come in?" her voice faint and shakey.

"You know you're always invited in Sophie." Luke's voice was serious he meant it. Even if he and Sophie didn't speak for 30 years, he'd still always invite her into his house with open arms.

Luke led her inside and sat on the couch hoping she would join him and explain what she wanted to talk about, though she wasn't so sure what they were going to talk about she just knew they needed to talk.

Sophie slowly wandered around the living room, stopping and looking at the wallpaper printed on the wall, she had spent the majority of her past few years here. Luke had a bigger place then Sophie, so they were always there, every big thing in their relationship had happened in this house, yet she had never noticed the wallpaper in the living room.

When she was nervous she had the tendency to try to distract her self anyway possible from the real issue.

"Luke, if these walls could talk what do you think they'd say?" Sophie was letting her mind run again, but right now it was peaceful to her that she found something to postpone the conversation she knew was going to need to be had.

"Well, I'd hope they wouldn't say anything because they've seen way too many things. So in that sense, I'm happy for the fact that walls can't talk."

It had made Luke giggle that the girl had randomly come over and started talking about his walls.

"That's true, some things are meant to be secret and not to be heard, and I suppose walls wouldn't be great at keeping secrets." Sophie wanted to keep the conversation on anything but the two of them.

Sophie was so invested in the print on the wallpaper that she hadn't even noticed Luke had gotten up from the couch and was now right behind her until she spun around and could feel his breath down on her face.

Neither person said a thing they just took in each other's facial features.

"Have I ever told you I love your hair in your face? Or how I'm convinced you're a queen but uncrowned? I've been thinking about that a lot recently; I've been thinking about you a lot recently." Luke had no need for his voice to be anything above a whisper since their faces were almost touching.

"Luke, maybe this time apart has made us fall for each other all over again? Maybe we can have a fresh start now one without all the fighting. We know how bad we hate being apart now, and maybe that's just what we needed to realize how bad we love being together?" She was genuine; she had been thinking about it. She wanted to try again with him.

"Sophie, I'm not sure we should. I also know now the pain it is to break, and I know neither of us could break again. We're falling, but we're falling from grace."

This was by far the most selfless thing Luke had ever done, he wanted her more than anything, but he couldn't do that to her.