Chapter 19

Marching through the forest-like dimension, Desmond and I are trying to find that shadow cliff, but surveying the area all we could see are nothing but tall trees. However, minutes have passed and we soon come across a swampy field. I notice Desmond walking across, while I actually stop. Desmond already walking to the center of the swampy land, but he realizes I’m not following him. He turns around to see me still not even crossing a single part of the murky, watery surface.

“What’s wrong?” Desmond ponders.

I still stand near the edge not making one move. When he tries to speak to me, I keep on ignoring him and surveying the swampy land. I remembered Desmond said that these dimensions play on what is real and what is not.

“Caden?” He keeps getting my attention.

I can hear Desmond, but something inside me is trying not to respond. Believing my demonic side has something to do with this, I try to see I can find a way to end this block and talk to Desmond. I think I been frozen because of the landscape in front of me. The swampy field reminds me so much of my home state known for having swamps. Desmond told me I half to pay attention and do not let this world fool me into thinking this is the real one.

“Don’t believe in this world, Caden!” Demsond yells out.

It seems he understands my situation. I can see Desmond realizing the problem it is because of the landscape. What I need to do is what he just said; do not believe in this world. Since I’m half-human, it is going to be hard.

I start to think about what Mal told me that I’m in control. If I can believe that I’m in control of this situation just like I was doing when I had to control my demonic abilities, I can do this. I have to be in control. I have to believe that this is not the real world I’m in; that this is the dimension playing tricks on my mind. I need to pay attention. I observe the swampy field and I need to visualize what does a typical Louisiana swamp looks like. As I think about the bayou near Ascension Parish, I realize there is a fundamental difference.

And then when I close my eyes to fully visualize the bayou, a few seconds later I open back up my eyes where I then see the image of the swampy field is fading away. It is changing to a murky, forest field. It was just an illusion.

“I told you that these dimensions play tricks on you.” Desmond says.

“Why didn't you get fooled?” I question confused.

“Because I charm myself before I came to see you.” He responds.

I react stunned because of what he said, and I can see it in his eyes that he forgot about putting a charm on me.

“Sorry Caden.” He continues reacting very depressed and shell-shocked, “I was stupid to forget casting a protection charm on you.”

“That’s okay.” I reply back trying to make sure it was not entirely his fault.

“You don’t understand, you are a hybrid and a half-human by that.” He continues, “I should’ve cast that protection charm on you because I knew mortal minds will easily be suck into this world’s deception.”

“Well the thing about me is that I’m half-human.” I continue to say, “And there’s this demonic side in me that probably protected me fully.”

“What you mean?”He questions.

“I mean you said a mortal’s mind will easily be mislead by this dimension, so since I’m this demon hybrid, I was actually protected by my demonic side.” I respond.

“Can that be possible?” He asks.

I nod my head down a bit to think about exactly what I said. Was it possible that my demonic side was protecting me from the dimension’s full effects. I knew being half-human and not having Desmond’s protection charm I was capable of getting affected partially; however, not entirely. I think the reason was because of my demonic side. I guess just once I had to thank my genetics for saving me from being crazy.