Chapter 15

Heading back to the Cove, it seems like it has been weeks to months ago since I been here the first time. I know I was entitled to come back anytime, but with everything that has been going on. There really was not a good time to come back here. It sucks that I had to miss school, but no matter there is always tomorrow.

I follow Karina back inside the Cove where to who was waiting was Aris lounging himself across the red bean bag couch.

 “Looks like you’re being comfortable.” I say.

“Well, I guess rats aren’t the only ones who haven’t shown up in weeks.” He says trying to be a bully. His punkish attitude is only going to leave him nowhere. He knows I have a messed up demonic side inside me. He needs to be careful what he says.

“You know where Mal went?” Karina asks.

“He said he to check the borders we made days ago and try to see if any demonic hellions cross any.”

“I’m sorry borders?” I question.

“The main reason we haven’t seen you these past few weeks was that there was an increase of demonic activity. Mal suggested we set up magical borders to detect any of them coming into any distance between here at the Cove, near the forest entry, and near the town outskirts.” Karina explains.

“It’s what the Nobloods like to call an emergency alarm system.” Aris states.

“Well, I think while Mal is away and the alarm system is not picking up any threats, I think it’s our best shot to handle the second trial.” She says.

“So wait you know where this Daemonum is?” I ask.

“I believe so.” She thinks as she heads to a metal table filled with assorted weapons and books. While she shuffles into that stuff, I look back to Aris as he still resting and listening to a iPod.

“Is that really yours?”

“Maybe.”

“Don’t tell me it’s stolen?”

“Oh no, it’s stolen!” He hollers as he continues lounging while listening through the ear buds and playing around with the device.

“So how you long you met Mal?”

Aris seems he does not care; and who figures. I soon walk near Karina to see if she is warm-opening unlike her buddy over there.

“Found anything?”

“I think so. I knew I remembered reading something about that book somewhere. If I can just find it.” Searching for what she to look for; “Oh and it was about two years.”

“I’m sorry?!”

“I heard you ask Aris about how long we knew Mal. It’s two years for me.”

“How he ‘recruited’ you?”

“Short story. My parents were viciously murdered and I scavenged my way through the Underworld’s poorest section. Being a female down there wasn’t easy.”

Never even knew the Underworld has a poorest section. “And then you meet Mal?”

“Yeah. He was recruiting others like me and Aris. However, after a brutal attack against Asmodeus’ guards, only Mal, Aris, and I escaped. Mal promised til this day he will restart the recruiting once more to get more outsider demons. Demons who don’t follow under Asmodeus’ rule. Those who want to make a stand.”

“Mal is like the father you never had.”

“You should know huh.”

“Why’s that?”