Chapter 18

We venture into the forest to where it seems it been hours; we are passing by falling leaves, crossing over arching branches and vines; noticing some insects coming by and small mammals like frogs hopping away. I wonder where we are really going. If we travel another two hours going seemingly nowhere, I’m going to explode.

As Desmond leads the way, I’m right after him just a few yards away observing the scenery, but have this nagging question rambling inside the back of mind; wondering where this is location Desmond said Oxley ventured. Feeling a bit exhausted because of the tiresome walk, I tap his back just to know I’m still here, but need to know some info about this place we are going.

“So are we there yet?” I ask.

“Not quite, mate.” He replies.

“Well, what is this place by the way?” I question the unknown location.

“This place is a dimension I told you about.” He continues, “It’s known as the Trine dimension.”

“Weird name? Something Oxley came up with?!” I ponder.

“Maybe, in fact, he never really explained the reasoning of that name just that it was the only dimension he researched that is probably where the Vessel of Nexum should be.” He responds.

“And you told me Oxley gave up because power would be too great.” I ponder once again.

“All I know is that Oxley didn’t want to become the all, great powerful wizard.” He says.

“So why would he go after the vessel in the first place?” I ask.

Demsond still walking stops abruptly; turns around to see me and continue talking about the dimension, the vessel, and Oxley. “Originally he thought as a young middle aged wizard, he could be surpassing other wizards and magical beings alike and become powerful.” Desmond continues, “However, when he realized later that the mists of Avalon were not as what he expected; he knew he had to stop.”

“And Oxley just simply gave you all of this information today or yesterday.” I state.

“He told over the time he been teaching me his craft and til this day.” He responds.

“I believe you; I just don’t know what to expect.” I say.

“We’re almost there, just a few more miles.” He says.

After the brief stop, we continue onward with the trek to the destination spot. About three and half miles later to the southeast part of the forest, we finally reach to an area where I can see a river nearby us probably what look like the East Vermillion River. I can smell the water roaring near my right. I look back to Desmond wondering if we made it or not.

“Are we here?” I ask.

“Not yet, but we are extremely close.” He says as he brings out his black book from his pocket and starts flipping pages trying to find something.

I’m standing here looking at the river; viewing the currents going to the east—the main reason the river is name East Vermillion River is due to its current’s direction. I check back to see Desmond finally found the page he is looking for.

“Got it at last!” He yells. “I thought I almost forgot putting it in.”

“Is that a spell you’re looking for?”

“No!” He closes his book and this time puts inside his jacket pocket; he continues, “What I’m looking at is actually if where we are is perfect enough.”

Getting confused, “enough for what?” I walk closer a bit to see if he has anything he is about to reveal.

“If you trust me Caden, we have to do this together in sync.” He continues, “We only have one shot at this.”