22 | Insensitive

Once our large patient was safely inside the hospital and set up in one of the temporary rooms, we wasted no time in getting to work, all the while trying our best to refrain from making any faces or impolite comments regarding the weight of the man himself. Bailey was watching us like a hawk, and as she had already proved by kicking Jackson off of the case, she wasn't afraid to put her put down. 

My only problem was trying to keep from staring because this man was easily the most overweight person I had ever seen before in my life.

"Easy. That's it." Hunt directed us as we lowered the patient onto a bed ever so carefully. "Let's get him a chem panel, CBC, and LFTs."

"Got it." Reed nodded and took it upon herself to order the required tests. 

"And type and cross for two units," Webber added.

April, who had at some point between now and the last time I had seen her dyed her natural red hair brown, began a physical exam on the patient. "Now does that hurt?" she asked as she cautiously pressed into the man's stomach. 

The large man, whose name was Bobby, looked up at April and smiled. "Sweetheart, I can't even feel that."

"I'm having trouble finding a vein here," Meredith announced as I peered over her shoulder to see if I could lend a hand. 

"Or anywhere," Cristina mumbled.

Bobby watched carefully as Meredith and I worked together to try and insert an IV into his arm. "I'm using up all your doctors here," he said. "There's probably somebody dying somewhere, right?"

No one dared respond, too afraid they would say something that would get them kicked off of the case. So instead, we all just politely smiled and continued with our work. "X-Ray," Lexie announced as Reed rolled the X-Ray machine into the room, prompting everyone to step back. 

Now I understand the sensitivity training." Meredith turned to Cristina and me. 

Cristina nodded. "Yeah. No fat jokes."

Bailey, who was beside us, turned to Cristina and scowled. "Yang, you're off the case."

Shocked, Cristina tried to defend herself. "I said no fat j-"

"-goodbye." Bailey cut her off.

"Are you kidding . . ." Cristina grumbled before storming off, knowing there was nothing she could say or do at this point to change Bailey's mind. 

As the room filled with silence, the only sound being the mechanical whirring of the X-Ray, everyone watched the machine do its thing before coming to a stop, which meant it was safe to step forward again. "Clear," Lexie told us and we all crowded around the patient once again.

"Um, sir, when did the stomach pains become more acute?" Bailey asked.

"Oh, the last couple of days, I guess," Bobby answered. "It's hard to keep track. I'm a real busy guy."

Before Bailey could as another question, a woman hurried into the room. "I'm here. I'm here," she announced as she approached the patient's bedside, and by the smile on his face when he saw her, he obviously knew her. 

"Let's roll him," Hunt ordered, but we were too busy looking at the woman to hear him. She was a small, skinny, blonde woman who, for lack of a better term, was a stark contrast when compared to Bobby.

"Bobby, are you okay?" the woman asked.

Bailey stepped towards the woman. "I'm sorry. And you are?"

"I'm his wife," she replied and I had to bite my tongue to keep from making a face. 

"Facial expressions," April whispered and we all went back to what we were doing, trying not to do anything that would give Bailey any reason to suspect we were being insensitive; although, her expression was one of slight shock as well, and she wasn't hiding it very well. 

"Hon, I'm fine," Bobby told his wife before turning to us. "Melissa worries. She likes to make mountains out of molehills, and I'm already a mountain." Bobby and his wife laughed, but the rest of us knew better. "Man . . . tough crowd." Bobby sighed.

"Mr. Corso, we're gonna need to turn you over again," Webber informed Bobby, trying to get the team back on track.

Grabbing onto the blanket underneath Bobby so that he could be flipped, Alex and Charles looked to Webber for the cue, but suddenly, Alex noticed something. "Whoa, whoa, whoa." Alex carefully lifted some of Bobby's stomach rolls with his gloved hand, revealing large, open wounds. "Dr. Webber. Look at that."

Melissa gasped when she saw the injuries on her husband's skin. "You poppin' the hood down there?" Bobby asked, unaware of what was happening.