Chapter 5

The Verdict

Michael's P.O.V

I spent the entire next morning trying to find the perfect recipe & then spent the day cooking for Shay. I wasn't sure if she was a vegetarian or anything, I never asked, but I settled on a pasta dish anyway just in case.

I finished cooking everything by 5:45. 15 minutes to spare before Shay would arrive.

When I heard a knock at the door, I slid on the wood floor in my socks over to the front  to let Shay in.

"Hi Shay."

"Heya."

"Come on in, make yourself comfortable."

"Thanks."

"I think dinner is almost ready."

I went over to the kitchen to make sure the rolls hadn't burned in the oven as Shay just looked around the place.

"So if this is just a temporary house, are any of the things in here yours?" Shay asked from across the room.

"Nah, not really. I mean all I have here that's mine is my clothing, my laptop which can't connect to any wifi anyway & my toothbrush. Oh & my guitar."

"Gotcha...What's this?"

I walked over towards her & saw she was looking at something on the desk in the corner.

"What is what?" I said, once I was next to her.

"This."

& then she held up my return ticket to Sydney.

"Oh, my ticket home."

"So you already know when you're going home? There's a time limit on how long you have get your shit together?"

"Yea, I guess there is. 68 days."

"So you have 68 days to figure your shit out?"

"Yep, pretty much." That made me laugh.

But I also had just 68 days to figure Shay out, if she'd let me.

"Well, ready to eat?"

"Sure."

& then I led her over to the table.

"So you cook?"

"No, not really. Just started today." I explained to her.

"Oh great, so is this going to be any good?"

"Hey, don't doubt me. I followed a recipe & it's just pasta, who could screw up pasta?"

"I'll let you know...you could very well be the first."

"Did you want anything to drink? I have some wine I can open."

"Where did you get wine? You're not 21."

"It came in the house. Before I moved in, someone stocked up the house with food & I guess they included some alcohol."

"Gotcha, but no thanks. I'll just have water."

"Okay. Do you not drink? I mean if it's 21 here, do you just not drink yet?"

"Yea, I don't really drink."

I got her & myself some water & then sat down to test my cooking.

& once we both took a few bites, I confirmed that it wasn't that bad.

I can cook.

"So the verdict?" I asked.