The Reunion

*contains season 2 spoilers*

I thought to end this book off I'd write my own interpretation of Anne and Gilbert's actual reunion fly

The bow Diana tied around Anne's pitiful head may not have been the prettiest of hair accessories, but it would distract from her shorn head and that was exactly what Anne wanted. She didn't want the other kids to focus entirely on that shameful thing which was her very own hair. It was not only short, but the color greatly diminished by the laundry cleaner Anne had put in her hair to take out the dye. Anne had flattered herself that her hair had been darkening to Auburn but now it was a more hideous and pale red than ever.

It can not go uncredited the immense courage it took Anne to step out from the mud room of the school and into the classroom to face her fellow students. Had she known who was waiting at the end of the room it was possible she wouldn't have been able to summon it. Had she known the humiliation awaiting her, she would've been walking in the other direction.

The first thing Anne saw when she entered the classroom was Ruby Gillis turning around to look at her, golden curls bouncing on her pink shoulders, shock plain on her pretty face. She was at the front of the mass of students filling the schoolroom and Anne could not face the rest.

She averted her eyes, gluing them to the floor, and pushed through the other girls, trying to make her way to her seat as quickly as possible. So concentrated on not meeting anyone eyes and seeing them mock her, Anne didn't even notice that everyone was moving aside to make a path for her.

The tension in the room was high and filled with nervous giggles and eager anticipation. They all knew who was at the end of the room, and they were all eager to see how the scene would play out.

Anne wasn't aware of any of it. Anne didn't see Jane Andrews hand pressed to her mouth in shock, nor did she see Billy's mocking smile as she approached the clump of older boys at the end of the room.

It wasn't until Anne came around the wood stove in the center of the room that she finally looked up — and saw a tall, dark haired boy emerging from the group at the end of the room.

Anne came to an abrupt halt, eyes wide like a bugs. Her stomach lurched as she recognized who it was.

Gilbert, taller and more curly haired then when she'd seen him last, walked toward her, a small smile growing on his lips as he got closer. He stopped just in front of her.

"Anne," said Gilbert. If he'd noticed her hair, he gave no sign of it.

Anne hesitated then said faintly, "You're back."

Her mind was racing and she felt strangely hot considering it was mid December. What was Gilbert doing here? He'd written to her not long ago saying that he was returning to Avonlea indefinitely. Anne had took that to mean he wouldn't be returning for possibly years, but here he was now.

"Yes." Gilbert paused then said, a tad nervous, "hi."

He must've changed his mind about the gold! thought Anne in alarm.

"There's no gold," she blurted. She seemed unable to do anything but blurt at the moment.

"I - I know," said Gilbert. "That's not why I came back." His face wrinkled up in earnestness. "It's really good to see you."

Anne just stared. She didn't know what to say. When she found Gilbert staring back, she blinked and looked away trying to find anything else to look at.