The green dress

Anne twisted a strand of auburn hair round her finger and looked at herself in the mirror with a satisfied smile

She was wearing a simple green dress that didn't quite reach her ankles and her old stockings looked a bit on the shabby side, but none of that mattered. Not when she was about to see the love of her life. He simply wouldn't notice her old clothing and if he did, he wouldn't care.

"You look beautiful." Said Philippa, her college friend, peeking into Anne's room. "I wish I could look like you!"
"Don't speak such nonsense you silly little duck! You are much more handsome than me!"
"You are right, I suppose, but there is something so sweet about you that I wish I could accomplish." Philippa said before leaving to answer the door to one of her many admirers.
Anne just laughed at her dear friend and smoothed a crease in her dress.

It was time to leave.

She walked out of the small cottage and headed to a small park nearby where he was waiting for her with a large smile and an even larger bouquet of flowers. He kissed her lightly on the cheek and held her free hand tightly in his.
"Thank you, Roy." Said Anne while smelling the beautiful white roses.
Roy looked as perfect as usual. His short dark hair was combed, not a single hair was out of place, his clothes suggested that he had money to spare and so did his smooth hands. A perfect prince charming who Anne had been lucky enough to find.
"You look absolutely beautiful, Anne, despite that old dress." He said and Anne winced a little, but she knew Roy did not mean to hurt her feelings so she smiled and thanked him instead.
"Did I tell you about the one time I accidentally set my bosom friend drunk?" She said after a few minutes of Roy complimenting every inch of her face.
"I believe not."
Anne animatedly told him about the mistake she had made and how her and Diana had ended up drinking wine. She ended with a lively laugh and looked at Roy expectantly, but he just forced a smile not seeing why Anne's story was funny.
The girl just sighed and bit into another apple. Roy was lacking a sense of humour, but she could hardly expect her prince charming to have everything! Still, she couldn't help wishing he had at least a pinch of humour... A life with someone as serious as him could get a bit boring.

She tried her best to listen to Roy talk, but her mind kept wondering and so did her eyes. There was a lovely patch of flowers just a few meters away from where she was sitting that she wanted to touch. Suddenly she caught someone's eyes and she quickly looked away and then back again. Her grey eyes opened wide and her mouth fomed a surprised "oh!".
"Are you listening?" Roy asked when he realised he had lost attention.
Anne looked back at him and smiled awkwardly.
"Not really, no. It's just, I think I just saw an old friend of mine." She said already glancing back to where she had seen him. He was still there, staring at Anne.
"I would like to meet this friend of yours. I'm sure she is a kindred sprite, as you say."
"Spirit. And it's a he." She corrected absently. Her heart was beating surprisingly fast and she was finding it rather hard to breathe as she held the man's hazel eyes.
Roy reluctantly stood up and held Anne's hand as she led him towards her "old friend". He has no idea what to think about Anne's trembling hand and excited gleam in those expressive grey eyes he so loved.